Flooding in SE MN
Did you know that according to the National Flood Insurance Program over 90% of all the United States natural disasters involve flooding? The Federal Emergency Management Agency or FEMA states on their website that one inch, YES ONLY ONE INCH, of water can cause $25,000 in damage to a person's home.
I don't know about you but that number takes my breath away in astonishment and amazement! The power of water should not be underestimated! Several websites state that six inches of moving water and has created flooding is enough to knock a person down. Some people may say that six inches is not a lot of water, but when you are faced with rapidly rising water and flooding, the situation becomes dangerous quickly.
Here are a few tips that SERVPRO of Rochester hopes can help you if you find yourself or a loved one in a flooding situation.
- Find safe shelter right away.
- Communicate with loved ones and friends where you are going.
- NEVER walk, swim or drive through this water.
- Stay away from bridges.
- If you are in your home, try to leave as soon as the flood water starts entering your home. Don't try to wait it out in hopes that the water goes down.
- Stay away from electricity and anything and everything electrical. Don't touch or use!
Stay safe from SERVPRO of Rochester!