Hey Rochester MN!
Fire mitigation is one of two of our most common services we perform at SERVPRO of Rochester. The other most common service is water mitigation.
Are your fire prevention prepared in your home, office or apartment?
December, January and February are the three months when half of all home heating fires occur.
This is preventable with a few simple, mindful steps you can do in your home.
- Using a space heater? Don't use an extension cord with this appliance.
- Keep all items at least 3 feet away from space heaters or wall heaters.
- We all like to use candles. Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything and everything. Make sure the candles are fully extinguished before leaving your home or going to bed.
- Want to be extra cautious? When leaving your home unplug any and all appliances, make sure your washer, dryer and dishwasher are not running. The National Fire Prevention Association recommends using battery operated flameless candles.
Also, please check the batteries in all your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors regularly.
If and when you are in need of fire or water mitigation services, please call SERVPRO of Rochester.
Burst Pipes in Rochester MN!
The song "Let It Snow" is a catchy song and so fun to sing around Christmas time. The first line in the song is "Oh the weather outside is frightful..." Here in Rochester, MN those lyrics are pretty close to what we are experiencing here. Our neighbors in the outer areas of Eyota, Elgin, Plainview, Oronoco, Byron, Kasson and Stewartville are all experiencing what we are plus more blizzard conditions. When this weather strikes with plummeting temperatures, high winds and insanely cold wind chills of fifteen below zero are perfect conditions for broken and burst pipes in your home, business, apartment or any structure with plumbing.
What can you do as an owner or tenant? SERVPRO of Rochester recommends a few of the following tips to lessen the risk of water damage in your home.
1. Make sure to check your lower level in each room. Look and feel for any water on the floors or walls.
2. Keep your home heated to at least 65 degrees.
3. If you use a space heater, make sure to unplug it before leaving or going to another area in your home.
SERVPRO of Rochester hopes you stay safe and warm throughout the next few weeks of bitterly cold weather. We stand ready to serve you for water and fire mitigation.
Careful With Real Christmas Tree
We at SERVPRO of Rochester and our employees hope that you and your loved ones had a joyous Christmas celebration!
There's nothing better than having a real Christmas tree. Each year I love the smell that the tree fills the house with and bright lights reminding of Christs' birth and His light in our lives along with the sentimental Christmas tree ornaments.
I am never really ready to take down the Christmas tree, but when the needles fall off without anyone touching it, then I just know it's time. This year we want to remind you as you take down your real Christmas tree of a few things.
1. Make sure to take off all the ornaments. There always seems to be that one that I miss.
2. Make sure all lights and electrical cords are removed from the tree.
3. Please consider recycling your Christmas tree to your local recycling center. When you recycle, you are giving them material to make mulch with for the following landscaping season.
Keep in mind a dry tree that is to say is no longer drinking water, that it takes only 10 seconds to burn and spread to other parts of the room if a fire should start.
Have a blessed rest of 2021. If you find yourself with fire damage, call us. We have technicians standing by, literally, 24 hours a day to serve you.
A New Year!
It's a new year and many of us make resolutions for the new year. How many of us will complete them?
Forbes magazine published some staggering statistics. Forbes found that less than 25% of people who made resolutions were still committed to them one month later. At the end of the year, only 8% completed them. Ugh...what does that say? Forbes writers suggested that people make goals rather than resolutions.
This year, SERVPRO of Rochester is encouraging you to make a goal to record, itemize, and document the belongings in your home, garage, business, apartment, etc. If you would find yourself with a water or fire damage, there's not usually time to properly document accurately all your items. This documentation should be done when you have enough time to not be in a rush.
Itemizing and documenting your belongings is beneficial to the homeowner to make sure you get the value of your items and to the insurance company. Documenting helps the insurance company by speeding up the process.
Here are some helpful hints from insurance companies. To see if your insurance company has specifics go to their site.
1. Written Inventory: Write down the items, serial numbers, brand, purchase price and date. Receipts are helpful.
2. Digital Inventory: Some phones have apps that you can use. We recommend recording yourself going through your residence, business, apartment showing the items slowly, any tags, brands, etc. and orally telling what room you are recording in.
If you have a safe, make a copy of these documents and keep in there. If not, consider storing digitally.
Fires are particularly devastating to homeowners because fires spread so quickly and usually no-one is prepared for all them items that are damaged.
SERVPRO of Rochester is able to help you through this process and determine if your items are restorable to the condition it was before. Call us. We have experience, care for you and are with you each step of the way.
We Care About You at SERVPRO of Rochester
At SERVPRO of Rochester, we strive for a quality job from customer service to doing the best job at demolition, cleaning up and the drying process. Recently, we had a customer leave us a Google review: "Excellent WorkI cannot compliment them enough. The came right away, explained the whole process, yet walked me through it step by step. The team was very professional and you can tell that they actually cared about their job and more important they cared about me the customer." ~Theresa E. SERVPRO of Rochester uses the software that your insurance agents and adjusters are using. We don't set our prices as other companies that are not franchises. When you call SERVPRO of Rochester you can rest and know that your bill will go through at least three audit processes. Our corporate office audits each file. You can rest knowing that we are not adding items on as other companies.
SERVPRO of Rochester does a quality job, cares about you the customer and helping you during the mitigation process.
Thanksgiving Day FIRES!
Did you know that Thanksgiving Day is the "peak day for home cooking fires"? This surpasses other holidays that we celebrate like Christmas, Easter Fourth of July and even the day before Thanksgiving preparations.
The National Fire Protection Association, NFPA, website states that on Thanksgiving Day THREE TIMES more home fires occur than any other day of the year. Unattended stoves are the leading cause of fire on Thanksgiving.
Even though fire and water mitigation is our business and we value the relationships we build with our customers throughout the process, SERVPRO of Rochester doesn't want you to have a fire. Here are a few tips for helping lessen your chances of having a kitchen or house fire during the holidays.
- Don't leave the stove or grill unattended
- Keep the stove area cleared from hot mitts and utensils
- Avoid wearing loose clothing when cooking
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen in case of fire
- Keep children and animals out of the cooking area
- If you light candles, make sure to extinguish them when people are not in the room.
We at SERVPRO of Rochester wish you each a blessed Thanksgiving and one that is celebrated with those you love and care for.
What to Do For A Commercial Water Damage
Are you a commercial property owner or manager? Have you ever been faced with a water or fire damage in the Rochester, MN area?
SERVPRO of Rochester has worked with property managers, owners and tenants. We have the experience to help you through this process.
There are a few tips to help you when you find yourself in a position of having a burst pipe, sewage back-up, overflowing appliance.
- Assess the area that is having the issue. Is there power that needs to be turned off? Are there electrical or safety concerns?
- Once you have the area safe, look and see what items can be salvaged. If possible, get those items and move to an area like a garage.
- Do NOT throw away any items even if you are going to throw the items away. Insurance companies require documentation: pictures of tags, brands, dimensions, and materials. You will need to document carefully.
- Call SERVPRO of Rochester. We will help you through each step in the process and have technicians get out to you within hours of your loss.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Rochester for services?
You, as the customer, want to choose SERVPRO of Rochester for our services whether it's fire and water mitigation, mold, or bio-hazard.
There are many, many reasons that you want to choose SERVPRO of Rochester when you find yourself and home in need of our services.
- We work directly with your insurance agent and company. This means we use the insurance program pricing software.
- Our bills go through a rigorous auditing process where other companies don't have this step and therefore can add items to their bills.
- The owner of the local SERVPRO franchise is on each and every single job.
- We build relationships with our customers and genuinely care about helping people.
- SERVPRO of Rochester is a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week.
- IICRC certified technicians following the IICRC standards.
- Our work is done as it's our own home. We take precautions with floor and corner protections, help with moving contents, and do our best each day.
- Adhere to 2-4-7 rule. Reply within 2 hours, usually it's within 5-10 minutes. 4 hours on site from first contact and 7 hours working on your loss in your home.
- Require in-depth background checks on all employees from office to technicians to owners.
SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help you in your time of need. 507-286-9170.
Tips to Help Winterize your Commercial Space
Just like residential homes and properties that need to be prepared for winter, your commercial buildings, apartments, or rooms do too!
SERVPRO of Rochester has a handful of tips that we hope you find helpful for your commercial building.
- Have your HVAC system inspected by a professional before starting up the heating system.
- Walk around the perimeter of the building to make sure the grade is pitched away from the building. Dirt may need to be added to get positive pitch away from the building. You don't want to get water in the basement of through the windows in spring.
- Winterized your irrigation system. Unhook all hoses from the outside water faucet.
- Put large mats that will catch salt, sand, snow and water from being tracked into the rest of the building.
- Keep the temperature constant.
- Change the batteries in smoke alarms and check CO detectors to ensure they are working properly.
- Have an exit map and plan for the residents. Post the plan. This can save precious time if event of a fire.
SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help you in your time of need. Locally owned franchise. Owner on site of all jobs.
Lots of us especially if you live in rural areas, in Southeastern Minnesota, burn fall leaves. This is so much easier than bagging fifty or a hundred bags of leaves. Those of us that live in the city of Rochester either bag our leaves or burn them.
SERVPRO of Rochester wants to give you some quick helpful tips to avoid a home, shed, garage or other structure fire when burning leaves this fall.
- Make sure you call the city or county to see if burning is allowed in your area.
- Do you need a burn permit?
- In some small communities, like Oronoco, they request you let the local fire department know you will be burning.
- Check the local weather forecast. Avoid days with strong winds.
- Make sure you have a hose hooked up to water source in case the fire gets out of control.
- Check the distance your fire will be away from any structure, yours or any neighbors.
- Keep the leave pile small and manageable. Add to it to avoid a massive, huge, uncontrollable fire.
- Keep a phone nearby in case you need to call 911.
Stay safe this fall.