What's Lurking Behind Your Walls?
When the affected sheetrock was removed, pink and black mold was discovered at this water mitigation job.
SERVPRO of Rochester was recently called to a customer's home after the homeowner discovered a part of their basement had a fuzzy layer of white mold on top of their squishy, saturated carpet.
Marc went out to meet the customer and take moisture readings on the different affected materials. It was determined that in the affected area all the carpet and pad had to be removed according to IICRC standards. Then the technicians moved to the wall areas to remove affected drywall and baseboard.
What was lurking behind their walls upon closer inspection and demolition? We found pink and black mold on the back side of the drywall.
Many times when customers experience a water loss and can't visibly see moisture and damage on walls, they think that SERVPRO of Rochester services aren't needed. Usually materials are wet and mitigation services are needed. With the various moisture meters we can tell what is wet and begin the begin the process of mitigation to reduce the chances for mold growth.
Special Smoke Alarms for Hard of Hearing or Blind?
Smoke alarms if properly tested and batteries changed regularly can save lives. Homes are required to have smoke alarms.
However, for those of us that have aging parents or are care givers to loved ones we wonder if "regular" smoke alarms would help in the event of a home fire.
SERVPRO of Rochester wants to let you know about a few tools that are available that may help you and your loved ones stay safe and if there's a fire to get out in time.
As we all age, there are ways that we have to adjust our daily lives, routines and things we do.
Do you or a family member have difficulties hearing? Or have a hearing aid? Maybe you or a family member have macular degeneration or another debilitating eye disease or are blind? The good news is that there are different products available for purchase that will alert those that are hard of hearing or blind?
The National Fire Protection Association or N.F.P.A. on their website state that there are smoke alarms that are specifically made for the hard of hearing, deaf, visually impared and deaf.
These products have different features such as: strobe lights going off when the smoke alarm goes off, or activating the pillow shaker to wake up the person.
Both products are available on Amazon.com and range in price averaging about $300.00.
No matter the age of your loved ones, statistics show that 85% of people do NOT practice the fire escape plan. SERVPRO of Rochester strongly encourages you to practice the fire plan with your loved ones. Simple things like planning, checking alarms, and changing batteries make a significant impact on increasing chances of escaping a fire.
Each year SERVPRO of Rochester helps families in the aftermath of a fire. Again and again we have heard from customers that they wished they had had a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and wished they hadn't left the candle burning when they left the room.
We are here to help you or your loved one during times of need after a kitchen or home fire.
Can I Have A Water Damage During A Drought?
Can I have a water damage during a drought?
Water damages in homes, hotels, schools, and places of businesses can happen at any time even during a drought!
There is no "better" or "worse" time for a water damage. Unfortunately and usually it always happens at the worst time. SERVPRO of Rochester has had customers call us right as family is arriving for a weekend, getting ready for a graduation and even wedding. It is best to have a plan for when this happens, you know what to do right away.
SERVPRO of Rochester recommends you do the following steps after you find water in your home.
1. Find the source. Where is the water coming from? How did it get into your home?
2. If it is safe, turn off the water supply.
3. Contact SERVPRO of Rochester. We have on call technicians and owner 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, even holiday. 507-286-9170.
4. If you are able, move contents that are currently in water or in the path of the water. Don't throw away anything! You will need to itemize and photograph each item as specific as possible if it's deemed unsalvageable.
We are here to help you.
Fourth of July Celebration Safety In Southeastern MN
All of us at SERVPRO of Rochester wish you a Happy Fourth of July and hope that you have a safe holiday weekend celebrating our independence.
The Fourth of July celebration is for many of us a take time away from work and have time with family and friends.
Celebrations are wonderful times to catch up with loved one and relax for a day or two. With these fun times, SERVPRO of Rochester has a few Fourth of July fire & fireworks facts for you in hopes that you stay safe from fire and injury.
The National Fire Protection Association, N.F.P.A., has done research that shows each year 19,500 fires are started from fireworks! Of the 19,500 fires, almost 10% of those are structure fires like sheds, garages and homes. Vehicle fires account for 5% of the fires.
Emergency room statistics show that there are 10,000 people that come in to the ER with a firework injury. In particular the face and hands are the most injured part of the body. Sparklers account for almost 1/4 of emergency room visits.
Many think that sparklers are harmless, but think about this for a moment:
*You bake a cake at 350 degrees F.
*Glass melts at 900 degrees F.
*Sparklers burn at 1200 degrees F.
With a few precautions, you can lessen your chances of having a injury or structure fire.
- Check to make sure your fireworks are Minnesota legal.
- Follow the package directions.
- Have water nearby. Make sure you have the hose close by and turned on! Be prepared. Fires happen quickly.
- Supervise children with sparklers.
- Light fireworks away from structures and people.
- If a firework doesn't light and you think is a "dud", do NOT try to relight. Dispose of in water or spray to ensure it is not lit.
- After lighting fireworks, pick-up the firework debris. Spray with water and leave on concrete. Try to gather all debris off grass.
Wishing you a wonderful Fourth of July celebration!
Home Fires In Rochester, MN
Home fires in Rochester, MN and surrounding communities have been increasing with the dry conditions.
It's our hope for you that you never have to deal with a fire in your home. SERVPRO of Rochester each year helps homeowners with the aftermath of having a part of their home damaged from smoke, soot or fire.
In an article from ready.gov/home-fires, it says that flames on the floor can reach 100 degrees and at eye level height the temperature of over 600 degrees. There are dangerous toxins in the air that you don't want to breathe or find yourself in this situation.
Some common household fire starters are:
- cooking: stay in the kitchen when cooking & keep a fire extinguisher nearby
- electrical appliances: Get rid of any appliance with a frayed cord or that is working improperly.
- portable space heaters: Make sure space heater is off & unpluged before leaving home
- fireplaces & woodstoves:Have your fireplace and woodstove inspected annually, clean frequently
- children: Keep matches out of reach from kids.
Always remember the rule for escaping the fire in your home: stop-drop-roll. The most important thing is to have all people inside able to get out and escape. A word of caution: be careful opening doors and touching doorknobs. The heat, smoke and fire can be incredibly intense. Be careful!
SERVPRO of Rochester suggests planning for a fire in hopes that you NEVER have to implement the plan.
- Make sure your homeowner's insurance policy is paid and kept current. It's helpful to annually check your policy. Are contents covered by insurance? Do you have valuables that need its own insurance?
- SERVPRO of Rochester suggests that you have digital or photos of your home, room by room, unique items photographed and inventoried. This will help in the event you find yourself dealing with a fire.
- Have an escape plan. Things to think about are: How would each person escape? Do you need a ladder to be kept in each bedroom in the event of a fire? Where will you meet once you are out of the home? Who will call 911?
SERVPRO of Rochester has many customers that have fires each year. We are experiences, certified, professional, compassionate and hope to earn your business.
SERVPRO of Rochester is open 365 days a year. 24 hours a day. Even holidays.
Preparing for Storms Part III
Flooding is something that no-one wants to happen to their home. The effects of having your home flooded can be catastrophic.
The National Severe Storms Laboratory, NSSL, says that in the United States flooding kills more than tornadoes, hurricanes and lightning. Flooding is when water comes down onto land extremely quickly or when it rains repeatedly in the same area which causes land oversaturation.
Flooding can affect your home in any season. Here in Southeast Minnesota, flooding can occur even in winter! Yes, even in winter. Ice dams and then snow melting can cause an area of your home to be flooded as the temperature fluctuates.
So, what can you do to help lessen your chances of having your home flooded? SERVPRO of Rochester recommends the following tips.
- Always make sure the grade (soil, ground) around the perimeter of your home is sloping away from your home.
- Make sure you have gutters on your home.
- Make sure your gutters are free from debris.
- Check your down spouts to make sure they are connected to your home and pointed away from your home's foundation.
You can do your best to take care of your home knowing that there is no fail-proof way to avoid flooding.
SERVPRO of Rochester hopes in your time of need, you call us first. 507-286-9170
Preparing for Storms Part IV
SERVPRO of Rochester strongly recommends homeowners, renters, business owners, and property managers to make sure you check the insurance policy annually.
The importance of reviewing your insurance each year is invaluable, so when you find yourself faced with a water, fire, or storm damage to your home or place of business you know what is covered by your policy.
What should you do if you find yourself with a storm damage in your home?
- Try to identify the source of the loss. What does the source mean? It means how did the damage to your home start? Many times the cause of loss is a broken pipe, refrigerator water line or toliet overflow. Your insurance company will need this information.
- Call SERVPRO of Rochester 507-286-9170. We are always here to help. 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- If water is coming into your home, if you can move the contents, the "stuff" out of the area to a different area. Many people move contents to the garage. Do NOT throw anything away.
- Make piles or areas separate. One keep. One dispose pile. You will need to take pictures and write an itemized specific list of any contents that have been destroyed.
We will do our best to be out to your home as soon as possible and help you in your time of need.
Commercial Jobs in Southeastern Minnesota
What is the difference between commercial and residential buildings?
A commercial building is considered to be a place where business is conducted OR there is more than one place of residence.
A residential building is considered one, single dwelling.
Commercial buildings are considererd: churches, schools, hospitals, hotels, warehouses, stores, office buildings, airports, restaurants, senior living facilities and more!
As a commercial business owner, you understand the most important asset you have is the building! SERVPRO of Rochester recommends since the building is literally everything, that you take some precautionary steps to help lessen your chances of incurring a water or fire damage.
Here are some interesting statistics on the cause of fires in commercial buildings from Koorsen Fire & Security website.
- 57% of restaurant fires start in the kitchen.
- 30% of church fires start in the kitchen and offices come in right behind at 29%.
- 22% of store fires start because of electrial issues.
- 18% of warehouse fires are from faulty electrical.
So, how are these statistics helpful to commercial owners?
Here are a few tips that SERVPRO of Rochester hopes that you find helpful.
- Check to ensure your indoor sprinkler system undergoes an annual inspection.
- Check all smoke alarms to ensure they are working and this is also a good time to change the batteries.
- Have someone check to make sure all electrical appliances are turned off when leaving. Unplug them if you feel extra safe.
- Check your water heater. Water heaters can hold 40-120 gallons of water.
- Fix a leaky faucet. Statistics show that at a rate of one drip per each second in a month that can add up to 250 gallons. Catching this early will help save money on water bills and may help you avoid a water damage.
These five stephs can help you lessen your chances of a water or fire damage in your home.
We work with all insurance companies. SERVPRO of Rochester stands ready to help you 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Rochester?
Why Choose SERVPRO of Rochester over our competitors?
- proven franchise system
- corporate agreements
- work with insurance companies
- training and continuing education
- IICRC certification
- in-depth background check
- try to do our best each and every job
- communication with customer and adjuster
- Proven franchise system: Each franchise is individually owned. The franchisees enter into a rigorous training prior to ownership where we learn about the industry and SERVPRO way. There system is set-up to help each franchisee.
- Corporate SERVPRO has agreements with insurance companies that gives the customer a discount for using the SERVPRO franchise. Each insurance company is different and that is not something that individual SERVPRO franchises has any control over.
- SERVPRO of Rochester works with the various insurance companies. We directly contact, are in communication with and bill the insurance company directly.
- Each employee no matter their rank or position MUST participate in continuing education classes. SERVPRO has a multitude of training classes online for education or continuing education. Employees also annually attend classes at convention.
- Similiar to continuing education, IICRC certification is a must, it is required. IICRC water certification must be obtained by each employee no matter their role or rank in our franchise.
- Background checks: It is imparative to our customers and required by certain insurance companies that ALL employees have a clear background check.
- SERVPRO of Rochester tries to do best on each and every job.
- Communication is key! We feel that clear communication is essential on each job. SERVPRO of Rochester communicates with the customer and adjuster. Many times the owner is meeting with customer and adjuster at the same time.
- Paperwork: There is paperwork that needs to be completed at the beginning and completion of each job. There are forms to sign and documents to read. At the end of the job, customers have more forms to sign and hopefully earn a 10 out of 10 on the Certificate of Satisfaction.
SERVPRO of Rochester would like your business. Please call us when you find yourself in a time of need from fire, water, toliet overflow, mold, or trauma clean-up. 365 days a year. Even holidays. 24 hours a day.
Preparing for Storms Part II
Have you ever counted from when you see lightning and then hear the thunder? I remember counting the seconds from when I first saw lightning and then I listened intently for the thunder, counting the entire time.
Lightning is a serious part of storms that we all need to take seriously.
The Weather Channel estimates that here in Southeastern Minnesota that we are at risk for 30-50 days during the year of severe storms and lightning.
So, we are going to experience lightning and storms here in MN and the best thing you can do is to be prepared!
What should you do if you find yourself with a storm?
- When you see the sky getting dark and/or lightning, see shelter immediately!
- Shelter means inside, not outside under a tree.
- You should avoid water and anything to do with water: shower, bath, and washing dishes.
- Avoid using any electrical appliance as lightning can travel through these items.
- Wait for 30 minutes after the last lightning strike or thunder to go outside.
The Weather Service had some amazing facts about lightning that we want to share with you.
- Lightning can reach the temperature of 50,000 degrees Fareinheit which is about 5 times the temperature of the surface of the Sun!
- At any moment on Earth there are on average 1,800 strikes
- The average lightning strike can light a 100 watt lightbulb for 3 months! Incredible, right?
Lightning should be taken seriously. SERVPRO of Rochester wants you to be safe during these storms.