Recent Water Damage Posts
Take Care of Water Damage
No-one expects or wants to find a room or rooms in their home that has water gushing in from a broken pipe, overflowing toilet or washer, leaky roof or a crack in the foundation. You, as a homeowner, want to call SERVPRO of Rochester to come out to your home and begin water mitigation services. We are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You want to take care of the water damage right away.
You will want our services to stop water from going further into your insulation, walls, doors, ceilings, furniture, pool tables, clothing, and other affected materials. We will come out to your home and take moisture readings. We document all readings daily. The affected materials are removed and documented. Once the affected materials have been removed commercial drying and dehumidification equipment is placed in the affected areas. Then approximately every 24 hours, a technician will come to your home and take moisture readings. When the materials are dried to IICRC standards, equipment is removed. Each day this is documented and you are able to see the progress in our documents we send to the insurance company.
Another reason that you want to have the affcted areas properly and professionally mitigated to help prevent mold growth. Usually mold is not covered by insurance companies. Mold can grow within a few days of a water damage.
We at SERVPRO of Rochester have been receiving many calls from residents who have water coming in their home from an ice dam.
What is an ice dam?
An ice dam is a ridge of ice that forms usually at the edge of your roof. This ridge prevents melting snow from draining off your roof. Instead, the melting snow backs up behind the ridge and can leak into your home. Some areas that can be affected are your ceiling, walls, insulation as well as other areas.
What do you do if you are getting water in your home from an ice dam?
1. Call a professional roofer. They have the experience and knowledge to help you eliminate the ice dam.
2. Call SERVPRO of Rochester when you have the ice dams removed. We will come in, assess the affected areas, communicate the plan, do any demolition if needed, place commercial air movers and dehumidifiers. We monitor jobs daily and keep the customer aware of the progress in their home. We work with insurance companies too.
We are getting calls for a lot of burst pipes. We at SERVPRO of Rochester can help you! All our employees are IICRC certified trained to industry standards.
Broken and burst pipes are the most common causes of property damage. According to the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety, water damages from broken pipes can easily cost thousands of dollars in damage. Exterior walls, and pipes in unheated spaces like unfinished basements, and garages are most at risk for damage or breaking.
If you do discover a broken or burst pipe, you should find out what the cause of it was. More than likely, you will need to call a plumber out to fix the pipe before calling SERVPRO of Rochester.
We are a 24/7 company that is ready to help out when you need it most.
Leaving for Christmas?
Are you leaving your home during the Christmas holiday? There are a few simple things you can do to take care of your home so that you lessen your chances of home damage while you are gone.
1. Unplug all your electronics. This will help lower your electricity bill and help prevent an electrical fire.
2. Turn off the main water supply line if you are going to be gone for more than a week. This may help prevent leaks or breaks in the line.
3. Remember to throw away any perishable items so they don't rot.
4. Stop your mail and paper service. Contact the USPS and they can hold your mail for you until you return.
We at SERPVRO of Rochester wish you a Merry Christmas and blessed 2019!