Fourth of July Celebration Safety In Southeastern MN
All of us at SERVPRO of Rochester wish you a Happy Fourth of July and hope that you have a safe holiday weekend celebrating our independence.
The Fourth of July celebration is for many of us a take time away from work and have time with family and friends.
Celebrations are wonderful times to catch up with loved one and relax for a day or two. With these fun times, SERVPRO of Rochester has a few Fourth of July fire & fireworks facts for you in hopes that you stay safe from fire and injury.
The National Fire Protection Association, N.F.P.A., has done research that shows each year 19,500 fires are started from fireworks! Of the 19,500 fires, almost 10% of those are structure fires like sheds, garages and homes. Vehicle fires account for 5% of the fires.
Emergency room statistics show that there are 10,000 people that come in to the ER with a firework injury. In particular the face and hands are the most injured part of the body. Sparklers account for almost 1/4 of emergency room visits.
Many think that sparklers are harmless, but think about this for a moment:
*You bake a cake at 350 degrees F.
*Glass melts at 900 degrees F.
*Sparklers burn at 1200 degrees F.
With a few precautions, you can lessen your chances of having a injury or structure fire.
- Check to make sure your fireworks are Minnesota legal.
- Follow the package directions.
- Have water nearby. Make sure you have the hose close by and turned on! Be prepared. Fires happen quickly.
- Supervise children with sparklers.
- Light fireworks away from structures and people.
- If a firework doesn't light and you think is a "dud", do NOT try to relight. Dispose of in water or spray to ensure it is not lit.
- After lighting fireworks, pick-up the firework debris. Spray with water and leave on concrete. Try to gather all debris off grass.
Wishing you a wonderful Fourth of July celebration!