Recent Fire Damage Posts
4th of July Celebrations Safety Tips
With the Fourth of July just a few days away, we at SERVPRO of Rochester want to help you stay safe from injury and fires.
A few safety tips from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission about injury and fires around the Fourth of July celebrations.
*Keep a water hose nearby in case grass or your home catch fire from fireworks.
*After the fireworks have completed burning, spray them off and then put in a bucket of water.
*Keep sparklers and fireworks away from your body and other people.
*Sparklers are pretty and fun, but they burn at almost 2000 degrees, as hot as a blow torch.
*Never touch or look at a "dud" firework. Leave it alone. Spray water on it and dispose.
*Never put used fireworks in a plastic garbage bin or recycling container. It may catch fire even if it feels cool to the touch.
*Do NOT relight a firework that has not fully ignited.
*Children should always be supervised by an adult.
We at SERVPRO of Rochester have a few tips as we move into the summer grilling and bonfire season.
1. Keep a hose or bucket of water nearby so that if an ember or spark gets outside the firepit that you are able to put it out.
2. NEVER leave a bonfire unattended.
3. Make sure everyone stays at least 3 feet away from the fire.
4. When you are done with the bonfire, make sure the entire fire is put out. Use water to spray the area down.
5. Make sure to walk around the yard before going inside for the night. Check for any sparks or embers.
Fun times can turn quickly into a catastrophe. We hope you have a fun and safe time having bonfires this summer. As always, we at SERVPRO of Rochester are here to help you in the event you have a fire or water damage.
Don't Let Your Christmas Tree Dry Out
At SERVPRO of Rochester, MN we want to remind you of a few safety tips as Christmas nears.
The likelihood of a household fire increases dramatically in December and early January. The National Fire Protection Association recommends that you follow these steps to decrease your chance of a fire.
*Check the Christmas lights before hanging. Make sure that the bulbs are not broken and cords are not frayed.
*Keep the Christmas tree at least 3 feet away from any heat source.
*Make sure to check the tree water each day and water.
*Before going to bed at night or leaving home, unplug the Christmas lights.
*Once the Christmas tree is dried or you have removed all the lights and ornaments, recycle at Waste to Energy lot. They will shred the tree to be used later as landscape mulch.
If you do have any water, smoke, fire needs during the Christmas season, SERVPRO of Rochester is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! Call 507-286-9170!
Thanksgiving Fire Safety Tips
Thanksgiving is less than 48 hours away. Soon kitchens will be bustling with food galore, drinks, laughter and gathering of family and friends. We, at SERVPRO of Rochester, want to give you a few tips to keep your kitchen safe this Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving is the #1 day that fires start in kitchens.
There are a few simple steps you can do to avoid the likelihood of having a kitchen fire.
1. Clean the oven and stove top from any crumbs or debris. Remove any grease build-up.
2. Keep all pan & pot handles turned inward.
3. Stay in the kitchen while food is cooking, particularly on the stove top.
4. Make sure the batteries in smoke alarms are working.
5. If you have a fire in your oven keep the door closed.
Turkey deep fryers
1. If using a turkey deep fryer, use it outdoors.
2. Use the correct oil that the manufacture recommends.
3. Thaw the turkey completely.
4. Don't overfill the oil.
5. Keep children away.
From our family at SERVPRO of Rochester, we wish you and your family a blessed and safe Thanksgiving.