Archived Blog Posts
It is officially bonfire season in Minnesota! The weather this week has been perfect 70s during the day and the evening in the 50s.
Whether you have a fire pit permanently in your backyard or a portable fire pit, SERVPRO of Rochester has a few tips this bonfire season.
1. Check with the local laws on bonfires.
2. Check the weather. You want to avoid having a bonfire when there are strong winds. When there are strong winds embers and sparks may travel away and set a neighbor's home or trees or any belongings on fire.
3. Make sure you have a hose connected to your house ready to go in case the fire spreads and is out of control.
4. Use wood that is dry.
5. Only burn wood. You shouldn't burn trash, aerosols, cans, or anything else.
6. Keep your bonfire size manageable. Recommendations are 4x4 maximum.
SERVPRO of Rochester hopes you have a fun bonfire season!
Water Mitigation is Necessary in Your Home
Your home is one of the largest purchases you will most likely ever make. You spend a lot of time making your home yours from decorating, wall hangings, furniture and entertainment areas. It's pertinent to you, your home, health and value of home to make sure when you have a water damage that you call professionals.
SERVPRO of Rochester serves Rochester, Byron, Kasson, Mantorville, Zumbrota, Pine Island, Oronoco, Stewartville, Eyota and other cities nearby.
There are many reasons why you should call SERVPRO of Rochester. Here are a few reasons why you need the professionals to mitigate your water issue.
1. Water can cause secondary damage in your home if left untreated or not properly mitigated. Secondary damage many times is not covered by insurance companies.
2. Water can't always be seen in affected areas of your home. You need professionals with their equipment to thoroughly scope your home to see where the water has gone and affected.
3. You want to make sure the mitigation is done properly. Sometimes people tell us that they are going to remove the carpet, pad and put fans and dehumidifiers on the area. It would be nice if it were that easy. There is a method and industry standards that SERVPRO of Rochester follows and adheres to.
Why SERVPRO of Rochester for a Bio-Hazard
Why should you choose SERVPRO of Rochester for a Bio-Hazard clean-up mitigation services?
SERVPRO of Rochester has trained professionals to help you no matter the situation. Our technicians have gone through training in person and online for the proper mitigation process.
Some people think that when you are dealing with a bio-hazard such as a death or virus that you can use soap and water. Soap and water cleans although doesn't take care of the contaminants, harmful bacteria, virus, germs, etc.
SERVPRO of Rochester uses a method and process to bio-hazard mitigation. If there is tissue, bone or other bodily fluids our technicians will care and handle with care and follow proper guidelines. This includes handling and disposal. We have proven professional cleaning products that will remove harmful bio-hazards. Smells and infectious wastes are removed.
These situations are sensitive and many times distraught for our customers. SERVPRO of Rochester understands this and will treat you and the situation with confidentiality.
SERVPRO of Rochester is here to serve and help you in your time of need.
Tornado Season in Rochester MN
SERVPRO of Rochester can help homeowners and renters after experiencing a storm event. Many times storms strike without warning.
Living in Minnesota, we usually don't experience tornadoes year round, however the season is from May through October. Being prepared is key!
The Minnesota Department of Public Safety has a few tips that we also suggest.
- Always stay away from windows.
- Make sure you have a plan and communicate with family on what you would do in the case of a tornado.
- Check supplies: battery operated radio, an extra cell phone charger, blanket or heavy quilt in case you need to pull it over your head for protection from flying debris.
- Go to the lowest level and interior area. This will give you more protection that an open area with windows or doors.
- If you are driving, do NOT park under a bridge. Go to the nearest gas station or area where you can seek safe shelter.
Preparation is important. Take the time to go over the list, practice and plan.
Commercial Services in Olmsted County, MN
SERVPRO of Rochester offers many commercial services for customers in Olmsted County.
- Water Mitigation Services: SERVPRO of Rochester has portable and truck mount extraction systems. We are able to service single and multi story complexes, buildings and single and multi units. Water mitigation services include: flooding, storm, pipe breaks, and water overflows.
- Fire Mitigation Services:SERVPRO of Rochester performs soot, smoke, fire damage to all sizes of fires. We are able to service one room, multi rooms to the entire home and structure.
- Document Restoration: SERVPRO of Rochester has successfully saved many boxes of documents after it has been soaked in water. SERVPRO corporate has a special process to restore documents.
- Cleaning: SERVPRO of Rochester offers after construction clean-up, disinfecting and sanitizing areas.
- Graffiti: SERVPRO of Rochester has successfully removed graffiti from many areas around Rochester that the public drives by and views each day around the city.
- Trauma Scene Clean-up: SERVPRO of Rochester has completed too many to count trauma scene clean-ups from homes, hotels and cars.
Storm Safety In SE MN
Storms can happen quickly and change your life in literally one second.
SERVPRO of Rochester wants to share a few tips with you if you find yourself out enjoying the lake, camping or in nature.
The Center for Disease Control, CDC, reports that on average every year 27 people die in a lightning strike incident.
- Keep your eye to the sky. Watch for weather changes particularly strong winds, darkening skies.
- Make sure you always have an exit plan. If you are on the lake, be prepared to pack up and leave if you hear thunder. If you are out hiking, know where the closest shelter is located.
- Make sure your cell phone is charged. You never know when you may need to call for help.
- Stay indoors for 30 minutes after you hear the last thunder sound.
- Stay away from water.
- Avoid using a landline that has a cord.
- Do not shower or use water during a storm.
- If indoors, do NOT lie down on the concrete floor as there are metal rods in concrete floors and lightning can travel through that material.
- Take storms seriously and never hesitate to protect yourself, family and friends.
Do I Need SERVPRO of Rochester?
You may find yourself facing a sink that overflowed, faucet that was let on, dishwasher line that burst, sewage back-up, water heater that broke and tens of gallons of water that damaged your home or a toilet that gushed gallons of water down floors in your home.
Most homeowners call SERVPRO of Rochester to perform the mitigation work. Every once in a while a customer chooses to mitigate the work themselves in hopes of saving money. Is this a good idea? Do you really need our professional services? YES, you need SERVPRO of Rochester to perform your mitigation services in your home.
You may ask why? Many reasons!
- SERVPRO of Rochester has trained, certified professionals who have earned IICRC water certification. There are industry standards that the materials in your home must dry to so that mold.
- Many insurance companies won't cover the damages if you don't involve a mitigation company like SERVPRO of Rochester.
- SERVPRO of Rochester works with all insurance companies, adjusters and customers communicating throughout the process to keep everyone involved up to date and understanding the plan.
- Daily monitoring and moisture readings are required to see if more professional drying equipment is needed or to be moved to ensure complete drying.
Check out the customer testimonials on our website.
Fire Mitigation Professionals
SERVPRO of Rochester has provided fire mitigation services for many years here in Rochester, MN.
Services SERVPRO of Rochester provides have a wide range for fire mitigation.
1. Smoke mitigation--usually most or all of home smoke has spread, soft and hard items need to be cleaned with professional cleaning products
2. Soot mitigation-sometimes from a blow back after winter on wood burning stoves, extensive cleaning and professional products needed
3. Smoke and soot mitigation-fire was contained, smoke and soot on walls and affected areas, usually most or all of home, home needs to be extensively cleaned by SERVPRO professionals
4. Minor fire damage-confined to one or two rooms. Removing affected items, some demolition.
5. Extensive fire damage-many rooms, widespread from removing all affected materials taking it down to the rafters. Extensive process but well worth SERVPRO of Rochester.
24 hours a day. 365 days a year. Holidays. Weekends.
Early Summer Storms in Rochester, MN
As residents of SE Minnesota in communities such as Byron, Eyota, Oronoco, Zumbrota and Rochester, we find ourselves dealing with early summer storms that are packing a punch to the environment and homes.
Our weather is all over the place going from cool spring days to blazing hot summer days and we are only in early June. As we prepare for summer storms and tornado season, SERVPRO of Rochester would like to suggest a few tips for renters and homeowners.
Here are a few tips to help you protect your home and belongings during the early storms.
- Check the downspouts to ensure they are free from leaves, twigs, branches, nests, and other debris that has blown around. Remove any debris.
- Do you have downspouts on? Are they pointed away from the house? Are the downspouts intact or need replacement?
- Walk around your home. Do you have items secured in case of strong winds?
- Do you have plants or flowers that need securing?
SERVPRO of Rochester hopes that your home doesn't sustain damage from winds and storms. If you find yourself with water in your home, we provide water mitigation services.
Water, Water and More Water in Rochester MN
Have you ever felt like it just keeps raining and raining then wonder when it is going to stop? Or wishing you could reach up and press the stop button?
In Rochester MN we are experiencing some powerful storms which have produced lots of water, strong winds, and even golf ball sized hail in Oronoco and Zumbrota.
Yikes! These natural occurring events have become more and more common and cause thousands and thousands of dollars in damage to homes, businesses, buildings and structures.
As a water mitigation company we help homeowners, renters, managers and owners of properties during weather events like heavy rain and flooding. If you find yourself with water actively coming into your home from flooding, once the water stops coming in, SERVPRO of Rochester can help you!
The process of water mitigation after flooding or heavy rain entering your home or basement.
1. Call SERVPRO of Rochester, 507-286-9170. There are water mitigation technicians on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We are always here to help you.
2. Once the water has stopped coming into your home, SERVPRO of Rochester technicians will set up a time to come out to your home.
3. Upon arrival, the technicians will scope the area that was affected. This means that our technicians use moisture meters and an infrared camera to determine if materials will need to be removed.
4. The information will be shared with you as well as the plan for your water mitigation.
5. We work with all insurance companies which require paperwork. This step involves paperwork and needs owner signature to proceed. Throughout the process, your insurance company will receive the daily readings, materials affected and what was done.
6. Work begins. If any materials need to be removed, this is the step it will be done.
7. Clean-up. Our technicians clean-up the area they worked in.
8. Placing equipment. We use commercial dehumidifiers and air movers in the areas that were affected.
9. Each day a technician will call you to set up a time for SERVPRO of Rochester technicians to come out and take daily readings and remove equipment as the affected areas dry.
10. When it's determined that the affected area has been dried to IICRC standards, the job is completed. We have some final paperwork for you to sign and then submit all the pictures, daily readings and necessary paperwork to the insurance company.
SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help you in your time of flooding needs. SERVPROrochester.com
Every time SERVPRO of Rochester is called to look at a home, apartment or place of business which has just had a fire it is incredible to hear the story behind the fire. We hear over and over again how quickly the fire started and spread.
SERVPRO of Rochester works with the homeowner, manager, owner, and insurance adjusters to come up with a fire mitigation plan.
It is incredible to be part of a team from what the structure and contents look like when we arrive and then through the process almost always we are able to remove the soot, smoke and smell from the various items.
There are different methods and processes in fire mitigation.
Media blasting: SERVPRO of Rochester has been successful in using media blasting to charred wood beams and stud walls. Look at our photos to see the before and after photos! incredible!
Walls: SERVPRO of Rochester is able to remove soot off the walls. Look in the photos to see!
Items in your home or business: SERVPRO of Rochester is able to take these items and clean them and return them soot free! Look in the photos!
Large items, cabinets, and other stationary items: SERVPRO of Rochester is able to clean items in place and remove the soot & smoke.
SERVPRO of Rochester certainly hopes you don't find yourself in the aftermath of a fire, but if you do, call SERVPRO of Rochester. 507-286-9170.
Does SERVPRO of Rochester help with biohazards?
Will SERVPRO of Rochester help individuals, families and businesses with a biohazard and what is it?
There are times in our lives that bring sadness and the unexpected life events. We all will experience illness, death and even accidents in our lives whether it is someone close or a friend.
SERVPRO of Rochester will help you in these delicate times of:
- Crime scene and Trauma:
- suicide clean-up & disposal of items affected
- death scene
- vehicle clean-up
- Sewage back-up
- Fire extinguisher residue
At SERVPRO we want to make sure that the pathogens, bacteria, virus, blood, and urine are contained and disposed of properly.
SERVPRO of Rochester is careful and properly mitigates the affected area, disposes of the contaminants properly while also protecting the occupants and our technicians.
Having a biohazard in your home, vehicle or business is serious and should be mitigated properly by trained professionals. Call SERVPRO of Rochester. 507-286-9170.
Spring is Here!
In Southeast Minnesota we are experiencing incredibly warm weather considering it's only the end of March. SERVPRO of Rochester wants to share with you a few tips as spring is almost here!
Spring tips to care for your home:
1. Check the gutters and clear of leaves and other debris.
2. Check around the perimeter of your home that the grade (slope) of dirt is not going towards your home, but away!
3. Check trees that are close to your home. Do the branches need trimming?
4. Clean out your laundry vent that goes outside.
5. Check your roof to make sure you haven't lost any shingles in strong wind storms.
6. Change the batteries in your smoke alarm.
7. Check your sump pump to ensure it is working.
Each one of these tips will help your home. We want to help you avoid a water damage from drainage issues, sump pump failures, or other natural disasters that can cause considerable damage to your home.
SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help and serve you in your time of need. 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week. Holidays. Weekends. All the time. Call us at 507-286-9170 or visit our website at SERVPROrochester.com
Are We Done With Winter Storms in Rochester, MN?
In Rochester, MN as we look at the weather forecast and see temperatures in the thirties and forties, we get excited that spring is near and we are done with snow. However, this week Rochester, MN may be getting a good dose of cold weather and multiple inches of snow!
SERVPRO of Rochester has some tips for preparing for a winter storm.
- Check your lower level or basement in the utility room area. Look for any water intrusion on the floor.
- Look along the exterior walls in the lower level and check, look, feel for any water.
- Check the batteries in your weather radio, if you have one. Be prepared with extra batteries, flashlights, blanket, snacks.
- If you need to travel, make sure to have emergency items with you: windshield scraper, shovel, flashlight, blanket, bottle of water and candy bar just in case you get stuck.
SERVPRO of Rochester hopes you never find yourself in an emergency in the event of a winter storm, but we want you to be prepared for anything.
Stay safe. If you need our services, we are available no matter the weather or time of day.
Good Customer Service Commercial Job in Rochester MN
SERVPRO of Rochester is proud to have repeat business over and over with a Rochester, MN condominimum association which has over 380 condos on site.
Recently, the manager posted to SERVPRO of Rochester Facebook, " Marc and his team are very responsive, professional, and timely. They have helped with multiple water issues at my complex, and have been very thorough and responded very quickly when needed. Highly recommend!"
SERVPRO of Rochester is able to handle multi-unit, multi-floor, multi-owner water and fire damages to individual's homes.
We have the equipment: portable extractors, truck mounted extractors, many commercial dehumidifiers and commercial drying equipment.
There are trained IICRC water technicians on call every day, 24 hours a day, holidays, weekends, all the time.
Water damages happen extremely quickly and in the short time hundreds and thousands of gallons of water can destroy all types of materials and belongings. The longer a homeowner, renter, manager lets the water sit without mitigation the worse and more materials will have to be removed along with potentially causing more damage.
SERVPRO of Rochester hopes that you trust us in your time of need and that we can earn your repeated business like the condo association.
Importance of Water Mitigation in Rochester, MN
Anyone that lives in a home or rental home knows the importance of keeping your home clean from garbage, keeping the outside of your home clean from garbage just laying around. Any garbage not disposed of properly will attract rodents and create even more problems for the homeowners or renters.
This type of problem is similar to showing why water mitigation must be done after you have a broken pipe or pipes, water back-ups, sewage issues and sump pump back-ups or breakdowns.
SERVPRO of Rochester strongly recommends that as soon as you find out that your sink overflowed for quite a while, washer line broke and flooded the level beneath, sump pump failure or other water issues that you call us.
Leaving a water damage in your home can create a variety of issues which some include: mold, damaging the materials more to a greater degree, and secondary damage. You need to take care of your water damage with calling SERVPRO of Rochester for water mitigation services.
SERVPRO of Rochester stands ready to serve you. You name the day or time of day and we are here to help you in your time of need.
Hey Rochester MN!
Fire mitigation is one of two of our most common services we perform at SERVPRO of Rochester. The other most common service is water mitigation.
Are your fire prevention prepared in your home, office or apartment?
December, January and February are the three months when half of all home heating fires occur.
This is preventable with a few simple, mindful steps you can do in your home.
- Using a space heater? Don't use an extension cord with this appliance.
- Keep all items at least 3 feet away from space heaters or wall heaters.
- We all like to use candles. Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything and everything. Make sure the candles are fully extinguished before leaving your home or going to bed.
- Want to be extra cautious? When leaving your home unplug any and all appliances, make sure your washer, dryer and dishwasher are not running. The National Fire Prevention Association recommends using battery operated flameless candles.
Also, please check the batteries in all your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors regularly.
If and when you are in need of fire or water mitigation services, please call SERVPRO of Rochester.
Burst Pipes in Rochester MN!
The song "Let It Snow" is a catchy song and so fun to sing around Christmas time. The first line in the song is "Oh the weather outside is frightful..." Here in Rochester, MN those lyrics are pretty close to what we are experiencing here. Our neighbors in the outer areas of Eyota, Elgin, Plainview, Oronoco, Byron, Kasson and Stewartville are all experiencing what we are plus more blizzard conditions. When this weather strikes with plummeting temperatures, high winds and insanely cold wind chills of fifteen below zero are perfect conditions for broken and burst pipes in your home, business, apartment or any structure with plumbing.
What can you do as an owner or tenant? SERVPRO of Rochester recommends a few of the following tips to lessen the risk of water damage in your home.
1. Make sure to check your lower level in each room. Look and feel for any water on the floors or walls.
2. Keep your home heated to at least 65 degrees.
3. If you use a space heater, make sure to unplug it before leaving or going to another area in your home.
SERVPRO of Rochester hopes you stay safe and warm throughout the next few weeks of bitterly cold weather. We stand ready to serve you for water and fire mitigation.
Careful With Real Christmas Tree
We at SERVPRO of Rochester and our employees hope that you and your loved ones had a joyous Christmas celebration!
There's nothing better than having a real Christmas tree. Each year I love the smell that the tree fills the house with and bright lights reminding of Christs' birth and His light in our lives along with the sentimental Christmas tree ornaments.
I am never really ready to take down the Christmas tree, but when the needles fall off without anyone touching it, then I just know it's time. This year we want to remind you as you take down your real Christmas tree of a few things.
1. Make sure to take off all the ornaments. There always seems to be that one that I miss.
2. Make sure all lights and electrical cords are removed from the tree.
3. Please consider recycling your Christmas tree to your local recycling center. When you recycle, you are giving them material to make mulch with for the following landscaping season.
Keep in mind a dry tree that is to say is no longer drinking water, that it takes only 10 seconds to burn and spread to other parts of the room if a fire should start.
Have a blessed rest of 2021. If you find yourself with fire damage, call us. We have technicians standing by, literally, 24 hours a day to serve you.
A New Year!
It's a new year and many of us make resolutions for the new year. How many of us will complete them?
Forbes magazine published some staggering statistics. Forbes found that less than 25% of people who made resolutions were still committed to them one month later. At the end of the year, only 8% completed them. Ugh...what does that say? Forbes writers suggested that people make goals rather than resolutions.
This year, SERVPRO of Rochester is encouraging you to make a goal to record, itemize, and document the belongings in your home, garage, business, apartment, etc. If you would find yourself with a water or fire damage, there's not usually time to properly document accurately all your items. This documentation should be done when you have enough time to not be in a rush.
Itemizing and documenting your belongings is beneficial to the homeowner to make sure you get the value of your items and to the insurance company. Documenting helps the insurance company by speeding up the process.
Here are some helpful hints from insurance companies. To see if your insurance company has specifics go to their site.
1. Written Inventory: Write down the items, serial numbers, brand, purchase price and date. Receipts are helpful.
2. Digital Inventory: Some phones have apps that you can use. We recommend recording yourself going through your residence, business, apartment showing the items slowly, any tags, brands, etc. and orally telling what room you are recording in.
If you have a safe, make a copy of these documents and keep in there. If not, consider storing digitally.
Fires are particularly devastating to homeowners because fires spread so quickly and usually no-one is prepared for all them items that are damaged.
SERVPRO of Rochester is able to help you through this process and determine if your items are restorable to the condition it was before. Call us. We have experience, care for you and are with you each step of the way.
We Care About You at SERVPRO of Rochester
At SERVPRO of Rochester, we strive for a quality job from customer service to doing the best job at demolition, cleaning up and the drying process. Recently, we had a customer leave us a Google review: "Excellent WorkI cannot compliment them enough. The came right away, explained the whole process, yet walked me through it step by step. The team was very professional and you can tell that they actually cared about their job and more important they cared about me the customer." ~Theresa E. SERVPRO of Rochester uses the software that your insurance agents and adjusters are using. We don't set our prices as other companies that are not franchises. When you call SERVPRO of Rochester you can rest and know that your bill will go through at least three audit processes. Our corporate office audits each file. You can rest knowing that we are not adding items on as other companies.
SERVPRO of Rochester does a quality job, cares about you the customer and helping you during the mitigation process.
Thanksgiving Day FIRES!
Did you know that Thanksgiving Day is the "peak day for home cooking fires"? This surpasses other holidays that we celebrate like Christmas, Easter Fourth of July and even the day before Thanksgiving preparations.
The National Fire Protection Association, NFPA, website states that on Thanksgiving Day THREE TIMES more home fires occur than any other day of the year. Unattended stoves are the leading cause of fire on Thanksgiving.
Even though fire and water mitigation is our business and we value the relationships we build with our customers throughout the process, SERVPRO of Rochester doesn't want you to have a fire. Here are a few tips for helping lessen your chances of having a kitchen or house fire during the holidays.
- Don't leave the stove or grill unattended
- Keep the stove area cleared from hot mitts and utensils
- Avoid wearing loose clothing when cooking
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen in case of fire
- Keep children and animals out of the cooking area
- If you light candles, make sure to extinguish them when people are not in the room.
We at SERVPRO of Rochester wish you each a blessed Thanksgiving and one that is celebrated with those you love and care for.
What to Do For A Commercial Water Damage
Are you a commercial property owner or manager? Have you ever been faced with a water or fire damage in the Rochester, MN area?
SERVPRO of Rochester has worked with property managers, owners and tenants. We have the experience to help you through this process.
There are a few tips to help you when you find yourself in a position of having a burst pipe, sewage back-up, overflowing appliance.
- Assess the area that is having the issue. Is there power that needs to be turned off? Are there electrical or safety concerns?
- Once you have the area safe, look and see what items can be salvaged. If possible, get those items and move to an area like a garage.
- Do NOT throw away any items even if you are going to throw the items away. Insurance companies require documentation: pictures of tags, brands, dimensions, and materials. You will need to document carefully.
- Call SERVPRO of Rochester. We will help you through each step in the process and have technicians get out to you within hours of your loss.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Rochester for services?
You, as the customer, want to choose SERVPRO of Rochester for our services whether it's fire and water mitigation, mold, or bio-hazard.
There are many, many reasons that you want to choose SERVPRO of Rochester when you find yourself and home in need of our services.
- We work directly with your insurance agent and company. This means we use the insurance program pricing software.
- Our bills go through a rigorous auditing process where other companies don't have this step and therefore can add items to their bills.
- The owner of the local SERVPRO franchise is on each and every single job.
- We build relationships with our customers and genuinely care about helping people.
- SERVPRO of Rochester is a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week.
- IICRC certified technicians following the IICRC standards.
- Our work is done as it's our own home. We take precautions with floor and corner protections, help with moving contents, and do our best each day.
- Adhere to 2-4-7 rule. Reply within 2 hours, usually it's within 5-10 minutes. 4 hours on site from first contact and 7 hours working on your loss in your home.
- Require in-depth background checks on all employees from office to technicians to owners.
SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help you in your time of need. 507-286-9170.
Tips to Help Winterize your Commercial Space
Just like residential homes and properties that need to be prepared for winter, your commercial buildings, apartments, or rooms do too!
SERVPRO of Rochester has a handful of tips that we hope you find helpful for your commercial building.
- Have your HVAC system inspected by a professional before starting up the heating system.
- Walk around the perimeter of the building to make sure the grade is pitched away from the building. Dirt may need to be added to get positive pitch away from the building. You don't want to get water in the basement of through the windows in spring.
- Winterized your irrigation system. Unhook all hoses from the outside water faucet.
- Put large mats that will catch salt, sand, snow and water from being tracked into the rest of the building.
- Keep the temperature constant.
- Change the batteries in smoke alarms and check CO detectors to ensure they are working properly.
- Have an exit map and plan for the residents. Post the plan. This can save precious time if event of a fire.
SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help you in your time of need. Locally owned franchise. Owner on site of all jobs.
Lots of us especially if you live in rural areas, in Southeastern Minnesota, burn fall leaves. This is so much easier than bagging fifty or a hundred bags of leaves. Those of us that live in the city of Rochester either bag our leaves or burn them.
SERVPRO of Rochester wants to give you some quick helpful tips to avoid a home, shed, garage or other structure fire when burning leaves this fall.
- Make sure you call the city or county to see if burning is allowed in your area.
- Do you need a burn permit?
- In some small communities, like Oronoco, they request you let the local fire department know you will be burning.
- Check the local weather forecast. Avoid days with strong winds.
- Make sure you have a hose hooked up to water source in case the fire gets out of control.
- Check the distance your fire will be away from any structure, yours or any neighbors.
- Keep the leave pile small and manageable. Add to it to avoid a massive, huge, uncontrollable fire.
- Keep a phone nearby in case you need to call 911.
Stay safe this fall.
End of Fall Tips
No-one wants to come home to a water damage that results in having your home furnishings destroyed, having carpet or wood flooring removed as well as sheet rock and other affected materials.
The weather forecast for this winter is supposed to be harsh in Southeastern Minnesota. The forecast is for a 3-4 week period of harsh, bone chilling cold. Those of us in the water and fire mitigation business this means broken or burst pipes.
There are certain things that you can do to help prepare your home for winter and the cold weather that is forecast.
SERVPRO of Rochester recommends:
- Remove all hoses from the outside water faucet.
- Remove all leaves, sticks and other debris from gutters.
- Check around your home to make sure that the grade is flowing away from your home.
- Inspect your roof for any blown away shingles or holes in your home. Animals have been known to make this possible.
- Change the batteries in your smoke alarm and CO detectors.
SERVPRO of Rochester is here to serve and help you in your time of need. We stand ready 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Owner is on every job site.
What's Lurking Behind Your Walls?
When the affected sheetrock was removed, pink and black mold was discovered at this water mitigation job.
SERVPRO of Rochester was recently called to a customer's home after the homeowner discovered a part of their basement had a fuzzy layer of white mold on top of their squishy, saturated carpet.
Marc went out to meet the customer and take moisture readings on the different affected materials. It was determined that in the affected area all the carpet and pad had to be removed according to IICRC standards. Then the technicians moved to the wall areas to remove affected drywall and baseboard.
What was lurking behind their walls upon closer inspection and demolition? We found pink and black mold on the back side of the drywall.
Many times when customers experience a water loss and can't visibly see moisture and damage on walls, they think that SERVPRO of Rochester services aren't needed. Usually materials are wet and mitigation services are needed. With the various moisture meters we can tell what is wet and begin the begin the process of mitigation to reduce the chances for mold growth.
Special Smoke Alarms for Hard of Hearing or Blind?
Smoke alarms if properly tested and batteries changed regularly can save lives. Homes are required to have smoke alarms.
However, for those of us that have aging parents or are care givers to loved ones we wonder if "regular" smoke alarms would help in the event of a home fire.
SERVPRO of Rochester wants to let you know about a few tools that are available that may help you and your loved ones stay safe and if there's a fire to get out in time.
As we all age, there are ways that we have to adjust our daily lives, routines and things we do.
Do you or a family member have difficulties hearing? Or have a hearing aid? Maybe you or a family member have macular degeneration or another debilitating eye disease or are blind? The good news is that there are different products available for purchase that will alert those that are hard of hearing or blind?
The National Fire Protection Association or N.F.P.A. on their website state that there are smoke alarms that are specifically made for the hard of hearing, deaf, visually impared and deaf.
These products have different features such as: strobe lights going off when the smoke alarm goes off, or activating the pillow shaker to wake up the person.
Both products are available on Amazon.com and range in price averaging about $300.00.
No matter the age of your loved ones, statistics show that 85% of people do NOT practice the fire escape plan. SERVPRO of Rochester strongly encourages you to practice the fire plan with your loved ones. Simple things like planning, checking alarms, and changing batteries make a significant impact on increasing chances of escaping a fire.
Each year SERVPRO of Rochester helps families in the aftermath of a fire. Again and again we have heard from customers that they wished they had had a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and wished they hadn't left the candle burning when they left the room.
We are here to help you or your loved one during times of need after a kitchen or home fire.
Can I Have A Water Damage During A Drought?
Can I have a water damage during a drought?
Water damages in homes, hotels, schools, and places of businesses can happen at any time even during a drought!
There is no "better" or "worse" time for a water damage. Unfortunately and usually it always happens at the worst time. SERVPRO of Rochester has had customers call us right as family is arriving for a weekend, getting ready for a graduation and even wedding. It is best to have a plan for when this happens, you know what to do right away.
SERVPRO of Rochester recommends you do the following steps after you find water in your home.
1. Find the source. Where is the water coming from? How did it get into your home?
2. If it is safe, turn off the water supply.
3. Contact SERVPRO of Rochester. We have on call technicians and owner 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, even holiday. 507-286-9170.
4. If you are able, move contents that are currently in water or in the path of the water. Don't throw away anything! You will need to itemize and photograph each item as specific as possible if it's deemed unsalvageable.
We are here to help you.
Fourth of July Celebration Safety In Southeastern MN
All of us at SERVPRO of Rochester wish you a Happy Fourth of July and hope that you have a safe holiday weekend celebrating our independence.
The Fourth of July celebration is for many of us a take time away from work and have time with family and friends.
Celebrations are wonderful times to catch up with loved one and relax for a day or two. With these fun times, SERVPRO of Rochester has a few Fourth of July fire & fireworks facts for you in hopes that you stay safe from fire and injury.
The National Fire Protection Association, N.F.P.A., has done research that shows each year 19,500 fires are started from fireworks! Of the 19,500 fires, almost 10% of those are structure fires like sheds, garages and homes. Vehicle fires account for 5% of the fires.
Emergency room statistics show that there are 10,000 people that come in to the ER with a firework injury. In particular the face and hands are the most injured part of the body. Sparklers account for almost 1/4 of emergency room visits.
Many think that sparklers are harmless, but think about this for a moment:
*You bake a cake at 350 degrees F.
*Glass melts at 900 degrees F.
*Sparklers burn at 1200 degrees F.
With a few precautions, you can lessen your chances of having a injury or structure fire.
- Check to make sure your fireworks are Minnesota legal.
- Follow the package directions.
- Have water nearby. Make sure you have the hose close by and turned on! Be prepared. Fires happen quickly.
- Supervise children with sparklers.
- Light fireworks away from structures and people.
- If a firework doesn't light and you think is a "dud", do NOT try to relight. Dispose of in water or spray to ensure it is not lit.
- After lighting fireworks, pick-up the firework debris. Spray with water and leave on concrete. Try to gather all debris off grass.
Wishing you a wonderful Fourth of July celebration!
Home Fires In Rochester, MN
Home fires in Rochester, MN and surrounding communities have been increasing with the dry conditions.
It's our hope for you that you never have to deal with a fire in your home. SERVPRO of Rochester each year helps homeowners with the aftermath of having a part of their home damaged from smoke, soot or fire.
In an article from ready.gov/home-fires, it says that flames on the floor can reach 100 degrees and at eye level height the temperature of over 600 degrees. There are dangerous toxins in the air that you don't want to breathe or find yourself in this situation.
Some common household fire starters are:
- cooking: stay in the kitchen when cooking & keep a fire extinguisher nearby
- electrical appliances: Get rid of any appliance with a frayed cord or that is working improperly.
- portable space heaters: Make sure space heater is off & unpluged before leaving home
- fireplaces & woodstoves:Have your fireplace and woodstove inspected annually, clean frequently
- children: Keep matches out of reach from kids.
Always remember the rule for escaping the fire in your home: stop-drop-roll. The most important thing is to have all people inside able to get out and escape. A word of caution: be careful opening doors and touching doorknobs. The heat, smoke and fire can be incredibly intense. Be careful!
SERVPRO of Rochester suggests planning for a fire in hopes that you NEVER have to implement the plan.
- Make sure your homeowner's insurance policy is paid and kept current. It's helpful to annually check your policy. Are contents covered by insurance? Do you have valuables that need its own insurance?
- SERVPRO of Rochester suggests that you have digital or photos of your home, room by room, unique items photographed and inventoried. This will help in the event you find yourself dealing with a fire.
- Have an escape plan. Things to think about are: How would each person escape? Do you need a ladder to be kept in each bedroom in the event of a fire? Where will you meet once you are out of the home? Who will call 911?
SERVPRO of Rochester has many customers that have fires each year. We are experiences, certified, professional, compassionate and hope to earn your business.
SERVPRO of Rochester is open 365 days a year. 24 hours a day. Even holidays.
Preparing for Storms Part III
Flooding is something that no-one wants to happen to their home. The effects of having your home flooded can be catastrophic.
The National Severe Storms Laboratory, NSSL, says that in the United States flooding kills more than tornadoes, hurricanes and lightning. Flooding is when water comes down onto land extremely quickly or when it rains repeatedly in the same area which causes land oversaturation.
Flooding can affect your home in any season. Here in Southeast Minnesota, flooding can occur even in winter! Yes, even in winter. Ice dams and then snow melting can cause an area of your home to be flooded as the temperature fluctuates.
So, what can you do to help lessen your chances of having your home flooded? SERVPRO of Rochester recommends the following tips.
- Always make sure the grade (soil, ground) around the perimeter of your home is sloping away from your home.
- Make sure you have gutters on your home.
- Make sure your gutters are free from debris.
- Check your down spouts to make sure they are connected to your home and pointed away from your home's foundation.
You can do your best to take care of your home knowing that there is no fail-proof way to avoid flooding.
SERVPRO of Rochester hopes in your time of need, you call us first. 507-286-9170
Preparing for Storms Part IV
SERVPRO of Rochester strongly recommends homeowners, renters, business owners, and property managers to make sure you check the insurance policy annually.
The importance of reviewing your insurance each year is invaluable, so when you find yourself faced with a water, fire, or storm damage to your home or place of business you know what is covered by your policy.
What should you do if you find yourself with a storm damage in your home?
- Try to identify the source of the loss. What does the source mean? It means how did the damage to your home start? Many times the cause of loss is a broken pipe, refrigerator water line or toliet overflow. Your insurance company will need this information.
- Call SERVPRO of Rochester 507-286-9170. We are always here to help. 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- If water is coming into your home, if you can move the contents, the "stuff" out of the area to a different area. Many people move contents to the garage. Do NOT throw anything away.
- Make piles or areas separate. One keep. One dispose pile. You will need to take pictures and write an itemized specific list of any contents that have been destroyed.
We will do our best to be out to your home as soon as possible and help you in your time of need.
Commercial Jobs in Southeastern Minnesota
What is the difference between commercial and residential buildings?
A commercial building is considered to be a place where business is conducted OR there is more than one place of residence.
A residential building is considered one, single dwelling.
Commercial buildings are considererd: churches, schools, hospitals, hotels, warehouses, stores, office buildings, airports, restaurants, senior living facilities and more!
As a commercial business owner, you understand the most important asset you have is the building! SERVPRO of Rochester recommends since the building is literally everything, that you take some precautionary steps to help lessen your chances of incurring a water or fire damage.
Here are some interesting statistics on the cause of fires in commercial buildings from Koorsen Fire & Security website.
- 57% of restaurant fires start in the kitchen.
- 30% of church fires start in the kitchen and offices come in right behind at 29%.
- 22% of store fires start because of electrial issues.
- 18% of warehouse fires are from faulty electrical.
So, how are these statistics helpful to commercial owners?
Here are a few tips that SERVPRO of Rochester hopes that you find helpful.
- Check to ensure your indoor sprinkler system undergoes an annual inspection.
- Check all smoke alarms to ensure they are working and this is also a good time to change the batteries.
- Have someone check to make sure all electrical appliances are turned off when leaving. Unplug them if you feel extra safe.
- Check your water heater. Water heaters can hold 40-120 gallons of water.
- Fix a leaky faucet. Statistics show that at a rate of one drip per each second in a month that can add up to 250 gallons. Catching this early will help save money on water bills and may help you avoid a water damage.
These five stephs can help you lessen your chances of a water or fire damage in your home.
We work with all insurance companies. SERVPRO of Rochester stands ready to help you 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Rochester?
Why Choose SERVPRO of Rochester over our competitors?
- proven franchise system
- corporate agreements
- work with insurance companies
- training and continuing education
- IICRC certification
- in-depth background check
- try to do our best each and every job
- communication with customer and adjuster
- Proven franchise system: Each franchise is individually owned. The franchisees enter into a rigorous training prior to ownership where we learn about the industry and SERVPRO way. There system is set-up to help each franchisee.
- Corporate SERVPRO has agreements with insurance companies that gives the customer a discount for using the SERVPRO franchise. Each insurance company is different and that is not something that individual SERVPRO franchises has any control over.
- SERVPRO of Rochester works with the various insurance companies. We directly contact, are in communication with and bill the insurance company directly.
- Each employee no matter their rank or position MUST participate in continuing education classes. SERVPRO has a multitude of training classes online for education or continuing education. Employees also annually attend classes at convention.
- Similiar to continuing education, IICRC certification is a must, it is required. IICRC water certification must be obtained by each employee no matter their role or rank in our franchise.
- Background checks: It is imparative to our customers and required by certain insurance companies that ALL employees have a clear background check.
- SERVPRO of Rochester tries to do best on each and every job.
- Communication is key! We feel that clear communication is essential on each job. SERVPRO of Rochester communicates with the customer and adjuster. Many times the owner is meeting with customer and adjuster at the same time.
- Paperwork: There is paperwork that needs to be completed at the beginning and completion of each job. There are forms to sign and documents to read. At the end of the job, customers have more forms to sign and hopefully earn a 10 out of 10 on the Certificate of Satisfaction.
SERVPRO of Rochester would like your business. Please call us when you find yourself in a time of need from fire, water, toliet overflow, mold, or trauma clean-up. 365 days a year. Even holidays. 24 hours a day.
Preparing for Storms Part II
Have you ever counted from when you see lightning and then hear the thunder? I remember counting the seconds from when I first saw lightning and then I listened intently for the thunder, counting the entire time.
Lightning is a serious part of storms that we all need to take seriously.
The Weather Channel estimates that here in Southeastern Minnesota that we are at risk for 30-50 days during the year of severe storms and lightning.
So, we are going to experience lightning and storms here in MN and the best thing you can do is to be prepared!
What should you do if you find yourself with a storm?
- When you see the sky getting dark and/or lightning, see shelter immediately!
- Shelter means inside, not outside under a tree.
- You should avoid water and anything to do with water: shower, bath, and washing dishes.
- Avoid using any electrical appliance as lightning can travel through these items.
- Wait for 30 minutes after the last lightning strike or thunder to go outside.
The Weather Service had some amazing facts about lightning that we want to share with you.
- Lightning can reach the temperature of 50,000 degrees Fareinheit which is about 5 times the temperature of the surface of the Sun!
- At any moment on Earth there are on average 1,800 strikes
- The average lightning strike can light a 100 watt lightbulb for 3 months! Incredible, right?
Lightning should be taken seriously. SERVPRO of Rochester wants you to be safe during these storms.
SERVPRO of Rochester also serves Commercial Job in SE MN
Did you know that SERVPRO of Rochester not only serves homeowners, but also commercial jobs in Rochester and the surrounding communities such as Byron, Stewartville, Oronoco, Pine Island, Eyota, Plainview and many more?
Commercial businesses also suffer water and fire damages.
SERVPRO of Rochester has been called on to help mitigate schools that had dumpster fires, graffiti, to hotels and assisted living centers having a water pipe break. The burst pipe in areas that have multiple rooms and or floors can create thousands of dollars of damage very quickly.
There are things that commercial business owners, managers, and tenants can do to help lessen their chances of having to deal with a water damage or fire damage.
Here are some tips:
- Make sure anything that is plugged in doesn't have frayed cords and is plugged in to the wall completely.
- Have your sprinkler system inspected annually or as required to code.
- Check the smoke detectors at least once a year to make sure the batteries are functioning, check to see if replacement of batteries is needed.
- Check the water heater to make sure there aren't any leaks in the surrounding area.
Hopefully, these tips help you. We are here to help you or answer any questions in your time of need.
Preparing for Storms Part I
SERVPRO of Rochester recommends that you take some time to prepare your home and family for the upcoming summer storm season.
Here in Minnesota, we are in the peak months of tornado season. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources website states that June through August is the time that Minnesota can expect tornadoes. The earliest tornado Minnesota has experienced was on March 6, 2017 and the latest in the year was on November 16, 1931.
No-one wants to go through the experience of a tornado, but it's better to be prepared than be caught off guard.
Keep an eye to the sky. This is a popular expression, but one that is true. Watch the sky. If the weather is nice and hot then suddenly turns black in the sky. Get home. Sirens will go off if there is a tornado warning.
Some things for you to think about and talk to your family about:
- What is the plan if there is a tornado?
- Where will everyone meet?
- Do you have a weather radio that is battery opeated?
- Do you have something sturdy to pull over your body in case the area above you is torn off? Many recommend using a mattress to pull over you for protection from flying debris.
- Do you have a flashlight with working batteries?
We want to help you in your time of crisis. SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help you.
Many Reasons to Choose SERVPRO of Rochester
There are several options out there in the community when you find yourself faced with the task of finding a company to help you navigate through the process of a fire or water damage or trauma clean-up.
SERVPRO of Rochester understands that when you are faced with the unknown and overwhelming feeling of having people come into your home and opening yourself up to the unknown. We understand.
We pride ourself on being honest, open with communication, doing the right thing, respecting the wishes of each homeowner and having empathy for the dynamic situations we are called into help with.
Each employee whether it's in the office, to the cleaners at the shop to the technicians and even owners are subject to a thorough background check at the local, state and federal level. We also run a driving record check on our employees. We do our best to ensure we have the best employees.
As stated above about each employee being subject to background check, that also applies to the various levels of training, continuing education and IICRC certifications. We want to make sure we are doing the best job for you in your home or place of business and holding to industry standards.
SERVPRO of Rochester stands ready to serve you. We hold true to the beliefs that we are serving you in whatever you may need when you call us. No matter the need, question or concern call us or visit our website SERVPROrochester.com or 507-286-9170
Commercials Businesses in Southeastern Minnesota
Commercial businesses experience water damages just like many of our homes.
The website ipropertymanagement said that in commercial businesses the water softner is the culprit 72% of the time as the source of loss. The site also shares that commercial owners and or managers should check to see the age of their water softener. If the water softener is older than 12 years old, your chances of having a water damage just increased even more.
Knowledge is power, right?
Here's some more tips to help you catch a water damage or water issue before it becomes catastrophic.
- Check your monthly utility bill, specifically the water usage. Compare this months amount of water used to previous months. If the number has increased dramatically without the business intentionally increasing the amount of water, you may be dealing with a water issue.
- Look around all the edges in the lowest floor in the building. Are there cracks? Do you have water coming in?
- Look up! Is the ceiling discolored? Bubbled? Cracked? If so, you may be dealing with a water issue.
- It's always good to inspect the walls, floors, and trim to check for moisture, bubbling, cracking, or discoloration.
SERVPRO of Rochester has worked with many commercial customers in Rochester, Stewartville and Pine Island on water damages.
Summer Storms in SE MN
In the last few days in Southeastern Minnesota we have finally received some much needed rainfall. However, it's been so dry it will take much more rain for this drought to begin to reverse. These storms brought some heavy rain, hail and strong winds.
SERVPRO of Rochester has some recommendations to help you assess if your home has received damage.
- Check around your home for any cracks in your foundation to see if water can seep into your home that way.
- Check your basement or lowest level in your home for water. Many times heavy rains cause flooding which then the water makes it into your home. Walk around on the carpet or flooring to see if you feel any water or feel squishyness on your feet.
- Check your gutters for any debris and make sure the gutters are pointed away from your home and foundation.
Call SERVPRO of Rochester if you find water in your home. We are here to help. 507-286-9170 or SERVPROrochester.com
Why Choose your locally owned SERVPRO of Rochester?
Why choose your locally owned SERVPRO of Rochester for your water or fire mitigation, trauma clean up, cleaning services or graffiti removal?
Simply put--SERVPRO of Rochester is the best choice!
Marc, the owner, is on each and every job from beginning to end working directly with the homeowner and adjuster making sure everyone is kept in the loop and aware of the progress on the job.
Marc holds IICRC certifications in Water Restoration, Applied Structural Drying and Fire and Soot. These are industry standards that all insurance companies go by. Have full confidence that when you call SERVPRO of Rochester that Marc has the certification and experience to know what to do on each job.
John, our crew chief, has experience in the industry working for another restoration company before joining SERVPRO of Rochester in 2016.
John has IICRC certifications in Water Restoration and Applied Structural Drying.
We also have Water Technicians that have IICRC water certification.
Not only do we have certification, experience but hold high standards for clean background checks and driving records.
We stand ready to serve you in any need you may have.
SERVPROrochester.com or 507-286-9170.
24 hours a day. 365 days a year.
Water Damages in Rochester MN during a drought?
Before working in this industry, I had no idea how many water damages there are in a day, week, month and even year in Rochester, Minnesota. And, to add to that, I thought that water damages only occurred when there was lots of rain.
Here in Southeastern Minnesota we are in a drought, not quite severe drought yet. The weather forecasts don't look hopeful at the prospect of rain either.
Do you think a homeowner can have a water damage when there is a drought such a time like this? YES! You sure can have a water damage during a drought!
Some common water damage calls that SERVPRO of Rochester has received in the last few weeks:
- sink with water running left which cause sink to overflow and spread to surrounding flooring
- dishwasher line break
- toliet that overflowed ran for quite a while which affected the walls, flooring and rooms below
No-one knows or can plan for a water damage in your home but by being prepared is key. Know that SERVPRO of Rochester stands ready to help you in your time of need.
24 hours a day, 365 days a week.
What Commercial Service Does SERVPRO of Rochester offer?
First, SERVPRO of Rochester not services Rochester, but Byron, Kasson, Mantorville, Stewartville, Oronoco, Racine, Eyota, Hayfield, Elgin, Pine Island, Zumbrota, Grand Meadow, Spring Valley, and more!
SERVPRO of Rochester has a variety of commercial services available for customers.
- water and fire mitigation: SERVPRO of Rochester has worked in hotels, local stores, malls, warehouses, hair salons, senior living communities
- trauma clean-up: hotels, cars, apartments, senior living communities
- graffiti clean-up: stores, schools, apartments
- carpet cleaning: locally owned stores, apartments, homes, large banquet halls
A business owner can't plan for a water, fire, graffiti or even trauma event happening in their place of business. However, planning is key!
Planning is very important so that if and when you find yourself in a difficult situation you know who to call. Call SERVPRO of Rochester!
We have experience, training to industry standards, working knowledge and relationships with insurance companies & adjusters.
SERVPRO of Rochester.
SERVPROrochester.com or call 507-286-9170
Why Choose the local SERVPRO of Rochester?
Why choose SERVPRO of Rochester, MN to help you in your time of need when you find yourself with a flooded basement, smoke and soot damaged home, dealing with a death or other medical issues that need professional cleaning?
The response is because we are well trained, IICRC certified, take continuing education classes, have experience, are always available no matter the time or day!
There's another reason why you should choose us:
SERVPRO of Rochester adheres to the 1-4-8 policy.
This 1-4-8 is a response policy to our customers, adjusters, property owners, managers, or anyone that calls for potential services.
What does 1-4-8 stand for?
1=one hour. SERVPRO of Rochester will make contact within one hour of the call being made to our office.
4=4 hours. SERVPRO of Rochester will make every effort to be at the site of loss within the four hours. Now, this is not always possible due to customer schedules, preferences or other factors.
8=8 hours. SERVPRO of Rochester will communicate what needs to be done in order to complete the job to IICRC standards with the appropriate people.
Call SERVPRO of Rochester. We are ready to serve you.
Is It Really A Biohazard?
SERVPRO of Rochester has received inquiries from people that find themselves dealing with a biohazard that needs cleaning up.
Some questions are:
- Isn't this just something I can use spray and clean up myself?
- It really doesn't take anything special to clean up right?
- Is it necessary to take all the precautions you are telling me you would take?
When you find yourself dealing with a biohazard, have confidence in calling SERVPRO of Rochester. We have mitigated these types of jobs frequently throughout the year. There isn't a certain time of year, rather year round and anytime a biohazard can occur.
What is a biohazard?
- sewage backup in your home
- human feces or fluids
- death, suicide, homicide
- accident scenes, vehicles, homes
When you call SERVPRO of Rochester we protect you, the customer, as well as our employees. We take the proper precaution setting up a containment area, wearing PPE, disposing of fluids, tissue, etc. following the proper guidelines and laws in terms of disposal.
At SERVPRO of Rochester we understand how fast your life can change and feel like things have turned upside down. We are here to help you during the time and through the process from beginning to end. Anytime of day or night. Holiday, weekend or weekday. Here to help.
Fire Danger In Rochester MN
This winter and spring have been extremely dry in Southeast Minnesota. The summer outlook doesn't look good in terms of getting out of the drought we are currently experiencing.
SERVPRO of Rochester wants to give you a few tips about taking care of your home and property during the current drought season.
1. Water your flowers, shrubs, trees and lawn in the early morning or late evening. This will help the roots absorb the water more than if you water in the mid-day hours.
2. Make sure your gutters are free of leaves, twigs and other debris to avoid a spark from bonfire or firework catching fire and then starting the house on fire.
3. Prune any overgrown branches over trees around your home.
4. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, near your outdoor grill and in the garage. Also, check the date on each fire extinguisher to make sure the dates are current.
5. Hook up a hose, which is at least 50 feet in length, to your homes outdoor water faucet.
6. Make sure that you and your family have an emergency plan in case of fire or other reason where all occupants would need to flee the home. Practice, practice, practice your plan! The more you practice, the more natural it will be for everyone to remember in time of distress.
SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help you in time of need. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Holidays too. 507-286-9170.
SERVPRO of Rochester has a few tips to help you have your home ready for Spring.
- Check your gutters. Remove leaves, sticks and other debris.
- Check your sump pump to ensure that it is working.
- Walk around the perimeter of your home to check if the dirt and or grass is sloped away from your home.
- Check your air conditioner. Does it need to be cleaned out or serviced?
- If possible check your roof to see if you had any damage from the winter or recent hail we experienced.
- Change the batteries in your smoke detectors and then test each one.
SERVPRO of Rochester specializes in fire and water mitigation, trauma clean-up, graffiti removal and mold mitigation.
SERVPRO of Rochester stands ready to work with you in your time of need. We have IICRC technicians on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Even holidays and weekends. 507-286-9170
March Storms in Rochester MN
Minnesota in March can be unpredictable with all different types of weather. March is a month that many times we receive heavy snow and even rain within the same week.
Now is the time to check that your sump pump is operating properly.
Sump pump failure insurance coverage most often has limits. Check your policy now to see if you have adequate insurance coverage for a sump pump loss.
Sump pumps failure happens for various reasons. We recommend that you contact your plumber to look over the sump pump to ensure it is working properly.
When sump pumps fail often the entire basement is affected with water. This can result in having not only affected pad, carpet, hardwood flooring but also vanities, furniture and personal belongings.
If you experience a sump pump failure call SERVPRO of Rochester. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, even holidays. 507-286-9170.
Rochester Commercial Jobs
No job is the same to SERVPRO of Rochester. Commercial jobs are unique in everything from scoping to source of loss to access for our equipment and technicians.
Some of the commercials jobs SERVPRO of Rochester has worked on in Rochester and surrounding communities like Stewartville:
*small and large hotels: ranging from a few affected rooms to many floors affected and we performed water mitigation, fire mitigation and trauma clean-up
*apartment buildings: carpet cleaning, mold, water and trauma clean-up
*assisted living & nursing homes: general cleaning, water mitigation, trauma clean-up
*locally owned stores: carpet cleaning, water mitigation, fire mitigation, trauma clean-up
*high rise building: water mitigation and fire mitigation
Each person that you speak with or work with when you call SERVPRO of Rochester has been through IICRC training and are certified.
In addition to WRT, Water Damage Restoration Technician, Marc has his FSRT, Fire and Smoke Restoration Technician, and ASD, Applied Structural Drying . John, crew chief, has his WRT and ASD.
You can trust SERVPRO of Rochester to have the knowledge to know what needs to be done to properly restore your affected materials and actively communicate with you throughout the process.
Our technicians are available to help you any day, any time. Daytime, nighttime, weekends, holidays. We stand ready to serve you.
Rochester Water Damage Hard Wood Floor Loss
The photo shows the Injectidry Floor Drying System on a Rochester home's hardwood flooring. SERVPRO of Rochester has professional equipment.
Hardwood floor is truly beautiful in homes but after a broken pipe, dishwater or toilet overflow customers can feel like their floor is ruined.
Our technicians have arrived at customer's homes where the hardwood floors are cupping with dark water lines at the ends and cracks in between boards. SERVPRO of Rochester has been successful in saving hardwood floors with extensive water damage by using an Injectidry Floor Drying System.
This Injectidry Floor Drying system is incredible to witness the drying and restoration process from beginning to the end of the water mitigation.
There is a black panel that is placed directly on the hardwood floor and it creates a tight seal around the edges to help in the drying process. Our technicians then use a professional grade air mover and dehumidifier to connect these with the Injectidry Floor Drying System. When all this equipment is working together moisture is removed from the flooring and dried out to industry standards.
Time is of the essence when dealing with hardwood flooring and the time the water damage happened. The longer the water sits on the floor increases the chances of the hardwood floor buckling. The sooner you contact SERVPRO of Rochester and we can get our Injectidry Floor Drying System the greater chances are that we can save your affected hardwood flooring.
SERPVPRO of Rochester has technicians on call ready to help you in your time of need. Call us on weekdays, weekends, holidays, anytime. 507-286-9170.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Rochester?
SERVPRO of Rochester is a locally owned business who strive for quality and building relationships with customers in our community. When you choose our company, you will get personalized service and received communication throughout the process. SERVPRO of Rochester strives for quality over quantity.
Marc, the owner, John, the crew chief, all our technicians, office manager and secretary are all IICRC certified in water. Marc is also IICRC certified in fire, smoke and soot and Applied Structural Drying. What does this mean? This means that IICRC classes have been taken, studying has been done and tests passed so that we know and follow industry standards on drying.
SERVPRO of Rochester stands ready to serve you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, even on holidays! We can help you with water mitigation after sewer back-ups, broken pipes, flooding, a home or garage fire, soot and smoke damage, trauma clean-up, graffiti and mold mitigation.
Winter Fire Safety Tips for Rochester Homeowners
SERVPRO of Rochester recommends checking the batteries in your smoke alarm and testing monthly.
Many of us are spending more time inside than outside because it's winter here in Minnesota and it's an extraordinary year of COVID-19. SERVPRO of Rochester has been on several home and garage fires this past year.
Here are a few fire prevention safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association.
- Never leave a candle unattended or in the reach of little ones. Blow out the candle when leaving the room.
- Working from home and using a space heater? Make sure that the cord is intact and not fraying. Recommended distance from any object is at least three feet. Make sure to turn off the heater or unplug it when leaving the room.
- Check your smoke detector to make sure it's working. If you hear that dreaded "chirp" noise, that means you need to replace the batteries.
If you find yourself in need of our services from fire & water damage to trauma or mold clean-up, SERVPRO of Rochester is here to serve and work with you.
SERVPRO of Rochester Ice Dams
This photo shows how an ice dam can cause damage to your home.
Minnesota is known as the Land of 10,000 Lakes! According to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, there are 11,842 lakes that are 10 acres of more in size. Incredible! Many say Minnesota is God's country and I tend to agree!
In Minnesota we miss out on hurricanes and wild forest fires, but we definitely have some crazy weather. During this time in the year, almost halfway through winter, the temperature may dip down to 15 or 20 degrees below zero with a windchill of 35 degrees below zero. We may have a few weeks like that and then it may warm up in February to a few degrees above freezing.
What does this do to homes? Many times when we have this bitterly cold weather and then warming, it can create havoc on your home.
SERVPRO of Rochester has seen customers with ice dams which creates issues with the roof and attic. This can create some serious damage to the inside of your home too including the insulation, studs, sheetrock & walls.
We are ready to help you during this time if you find you have an ice dam. Call SERVPRO of Rochester. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Water Mitigation in Rochester
This photo shows the cause of damage from a water mitigation job we recently were on.
A water damage to your home can happen at any time in any season here in Minnesota. Yes, there are certain times in the year that ice dams occur in winter while flooding usually is in the spring and summer.
Burst and broken pipes inside a home or commercial building are unpredictable and can break at any time. There's not anything you can do to prevent it. However, SERVPRO of Rochester has a few tips to prepare in case you are faced with a broken pipe or backed up drain.
- Put your valuables up on a shelf or on a pallet. You want to avoid storing things on the floor.
- If you do have a broken pipe, call SERVPRO of Rochester first, then your plumber.
- Once you have called us and we are on our way, start moving any items that are on the floor or may be in the path of water.
Many people think that "it's only water and that your affected materials will dry." However, you need to know that if you don't call in a professional, SERVPRO of Rochester, you may make your home worse. How can you make it work by trying to fix it yourself? Homeowners have good intentions but not the correct moisture meters, industry knowledge, training and IICRC certification along with professional drying equipment. Fans and dehumidifers purchased at big box stores are NOT up to our quality.
Call SERVPRO of Rochester if you face a broken or burst pipe, fire damage, or trauma clean-up.
Our technicians stand by on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are here to serve and help you.
Media Blasting After Fire in Chatfield
The photo shows on the left side was BEFORE the media blasting and the right side shows AFTER the media blasting.
SERVPRO of Rochester has worked with customers on several fire damages the past year. Some fires are considered minimal while others are extensive.
Recently, we worked with a customer that had a garage fire resulting in a total loss. However, the heavy smoke affected the home's attic.
Media blasting is used for many different applications. There are different types of media that one can use: soda, dry ice, garnet and others.
SERVPRO of Rochester is a fire, water, mold, graffiti mitigation and trauma clean-up company which uses media blasting.
Our technicians used soda blasting to remove heavy smoke from the wood framing. Incredible, right? We were able to remove all the smoke damage and odor. This process saved the home's roof and climate and the odor. The final step in the process is sealing the wood.
There are photos of this process that show before and after as well as a video on our main webpage.
SERVPRO of Rochester is here to serve you in your times of need. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Choose SERVPRO of Rochester
Why choose SERVPRO of Rochester?
- Always available: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Even on holidays!
- Communication is key and vital for each job, we keep the customer and adjuster informed each step in the mitigation process
- Direct billing to your insurance company
- Each employee is industry trained and certified according to IICRC standards
- Owner is on site of each job and working with all involved
- Variety of services: trauma clean-up, graffiti vandalism, mold, general cleaning, sewer back-up, flooded basements, any water damage, cleaning up after a fire, removing damaged materials, fire and water mitigation
- Require each employee to have extensive background check and driving record
We strive to build relationships with people and want to do the best we can on each job.
SERVPRO of Rochester hopes that we can earn your business.
Happy Thanksgiving Rochester and Surrounding Communities!
SERVPRO of Rochester wishes you a safe holiday as you celebrate Thanksgiving. In this year of uncertainties and challenges, we have a few tips for you and your family as you cook and prepare.
- Always stay in the kitchen when you are cooking food
- Check the oven to make sure it's empty before pre-heating
- Keep children out of the kitchen and cooking area
- Make sure knives are out of reach from children
- Make sure the floor is clear of kid's or dog toys, and bags
- If grilling outside, make sure grill or fryer is at least 10 feet away from your home
- Candles are a nice touch, but don't light ahead of time. Don't leave unattended
- Have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen working area
Thanksgiving is a peak day for home fires. Please stay safe.
SERVPRO of Rochester. Here to help. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Even holidays.
Rochester Commercial Jobs
No job is too small or too large for SERVPRO of Rochester. We have been on commercial jobs that needed graffiti removed to a flooded warehouse full of goods and supplies.
SERVPRO of Rochester has:
- prompt service from the first call to on-site arrival time to starting the job
- equipment necessary for any job
- IICRC certified employees ready and standing by to help you
- available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, no matter if it's a weekday, weekend or holiday
No matter if the job is a water or fire mitigation, to mold, graffiti, COVID-19 or general cleaning, we stand ready and prepared to help in time of need.
SERVPRO of Rochester looks forward to earning your business and trust.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Rochester?
Why choose SERVPRO of Rochester?
- Always available: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Even on holidays!
- Communication is key and vital for each job, we keep the customer and adjuster informed each step in the mitigation process
- Direct billing to your insurance company
- Each employee is industry trained and certified according to IICRC standards
- Owner is on site of each job and working with all involved
- Variety of services: trauma clean-up, graffiti vandalism, mold, general cleaning, sewer back-up, flooded basements, any water damage, cleaning up after a fire, removing damaged materials, fire and water mitigation
- Require each employee to have extensive background check and driving record
SERVPRO of Rochester hopes that we can earn your business.
SERVPRO of Rochester cares
SERVPRO of Rochester understands your needs after water damages or destroys parts of your home. We understand after you have had fire damage. The loss of a family member unexpectedly will numb you. Feeling violated after you find graffitti on your building or property.
SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help you. We will walk through the process of your loss with you. From your first call to our office to our technicians arriving at your home to starting the mitigation process, we are here to help you. Each step of the way we do our best to keep you informed of the process and steps to your job.
SERVPRO of Rochester works directly with your insurance company and adjuster assigned to your claim. You are given personal service. Marc, the owner personally is at each job, communicates with the customer and insurance company throughout the job. We care about you.
Rochester Commercial Businesses Prepare for Winter...A few tips
Minnesota is known for being cold, cold, cold. This year, the Farmer's Almanac is predicting another harsh winter in Minnesota.
Even commercial businesses need to prepare their building for winter to decrease the chances of a water or fire loss.
SERVPRO of Rochester has a few tips for you:
- Invest in having your HVAC system inspected to ensure it is running efficiently and well.
- If there's an irrigation system, make sure that the system is winterized.
- Check the perimeter and roof to make sure everything is in good condition.
- Do you have fire extinguishers in each area? Do your employees know where the fire extinguisher is in case of a fire?
SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help and serve you in your time of need.
Are There Water Damages During A Dry Season?
The spring and summer of 2019 was one that was insanely filled with day after day and night after night of torrential rains which resulted in flooding all across Southeastern Minnesota. As a result, storm systems and sewage systems backed up creating even more damage to homes that were already flooded.
What is it like this spring and summer of 2020? Here in Southeaster Minnesota, the weather has been warm, even hot at times, but very little rain.
Does this mean there aren't water issues for homeowners? NO.
SERVPRO of Rochester has been called to several overflowing toliets, broken pipes, faucets that were left running by accident. We continue to help customers during their time of need.
As we enjoy the last month or so in summer. Here are a few tips:
*if you are grilling out or having a bonfire, keep a hose handy and make sure the water is turned on
*when cooking in the kitchen, keep a fire extinguisher nearby
*if you have new appliances, run the first cycle or two while you are at home
Lastly, we hope that you are able to find some quiet time with family or friends.
I Had Fire and Smoke Damage to my Rochester residence....Now What?
Customers have shared with SERVPRO of Rochester their feelings after sustained soot, smoke and fire damage. The words they describe are a feeling of an out of body experience, the disbelief that this happened to their home, anger and feelings of now what.
SERVPRO of Rochester has been fortunate to help many customers mitigate their smoke and or fire damage.
So what are you supposed to do if you find yourself in this position?
SERVPRO of Rochester recommends the following:
- Contact your insurance agent.
- Call SERVPRO of Rochester 507-286-9170
- We have the knowledge and expertise
- We have the necessary equipment
- Don't throw anything away.
- We inventory everything for you and send it to your insurance company.
When you experience a damage like this, you need to know that the process can be lengthy. However, we believe that doing a thorough job is better than simply rushing through things.
IICRC Water Categories and Classes
When SERVPRO of Rochester's technicians arrive at a job after speaking with the customer, one of the next things we will do is to determine where the source of the damage is, what rooms and types of materials are affected.
Determining the correct category and class of water is vitally important on each job.
According to IICRC standards, there are 3 categories of water:
- Category 1: no contamination
- Category 2: significant contamination
- Category 3: grossly contamination
According to IICRC standards, there are 4 classes of water:
- Class 1: the least amount of water absorption & absorption load
- Class 2: this is significant amount of water absorption & absorption load
- Class 3: this is greatest amount of water absorption & absorption load
- Class 4: deeply held or bound water
Rochester Residents...Fourth of July Celebration Tips
Celebrating the Fourth of July creates such excitement for many of us! Everyone seems to celebrate differently from spending the time with family or friends to boating or grilling. However, one common part of the day we all do is to watch or light off fireworks.
SERVPRO of Rochester wants to help you stay safe.
Here are a few fireworks safety facts and tips for you:
1. Sparklers' sparks are 1800-3000 degrees F. and can cause third degree burns.
2. Fireworks burn at 2000 degrees F. which is hotter than a blow torch.
Tips to Stay Safe:
1. Keep a bucket full of water or hose nearby in case of fire.
2. Make sure children are closely supervised.
3. Never place any body part over any part of a firework when trying to light.
4. If a firework doesn't light, don't try to relight it.
5. When all fireworks are completed, don't put the burned pieces in plastic. Put in a bucket of water overnight.
SERVPRO of Rochester hopes you have a safe Fourth of July!
Customer's Praises for SERVPRO of Rochester
We at SERVPRO of Rochester strive to do the best on every job and treat the customer as though you are our family. We have received many calls from a potential customer that ask for our mitigation services and that they have been referred by a friend. This means so much to us! Each referral from a satisfied customer is the best compliment to us! Thank-you to our customers, adjusters and agents!
Here are a just a few of the recent notes that we have received either upon payment, a note in the mail or via social media.
From Chuck S. "Imagine a full port-a-potty that exploded in your bathroom, then was left for years! SERVPRO came in full hazardous material suits and their strong cleaning supplies and cleaned the room from top to bottom. The chemicals cut through the odor and stains...simply amazing!"
Kim W. "Marc was fantastic to work with and definitely made a difficult situation easier for my family!"
Austin "SERVPRO of Rochester did a fantastic job in a very quick manner. I would highly recommend. Marc and his guys did a great job. I appreciate Marc communicating with me at each step of the job."
If SERVPRO of Rochester can serve you in your time of need, we would like to help you!
Summer Storms in Southern Minnesota
Do you remember what happened in Southern Minnesota one year ago this week?
You probably remember the month of June it rained and rained and rained which caused flooding on all sorts of levels creating havoc.
The weather forecast for this week one year later is much different. In SE MN we are expected to have temperatures in the nineties with humidity near tropical levels. What does this sound like it would be a good recipe for?
THUNDERSTORMS! and rain, wind and maybe hail.
I share this with you so you can be informed and prepared for some potentially strong storms.
Here are a few tips:
1. Check your gutters to make sure they are clean from leaves and other debris.
2. Make sure if you have an umbrella on your deck, take it down.
3. Make sure chairs and chair cushions are secure. Push them back towards the house.
4. Clear any tree branches or limbs that may be touching windows or parts of your home.
SERVPRO of Rochester hopes that you stay safe during the stormy times. We are here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, even on holidays.
Preparing Your Rochester Home for Storms
Alexander Graham Bell's famous words: "Before anything else, preparation is the key to success."
SERVPRO of Rochester wants you to be safe and successful in times when the weather is turning the skies dark and overcast, the wind makes you feel like your siding may blow off and rain is pelting your windows.
Preparation is key to success! The American Red Cross suggests that each home have a preparedness kit ready in case of storm, disaster or emergency.
The Red Cross list suggests your kit contain:
*bottles of water
*flashlight with extra batteries
*snacks: animal crackers, candy bars, gatorade, etc.
*cell phones with chargers
*games and activities if you have younger children
*two way radio
*weather radio with extra batteries
*extra set of keys
Other websites suggest to prepare your home by unplugging small electrical appliances, to fill your vehicles gas tank full of gasoline and to make sure you have 2 gallons of drinking water per person.
If you find yourself with water in your basement, sewage coming into your home, dealing with the aftermath of a fire, trauma or graffiti, we want you to call us! 507-286-9170. 24/7, even holidays!
It's Officially Summer Rochester!
It is officially summer! There's nothing better than firing up the grill, putting some steaks or hamburgers on and the wonderful smells as it cooks. Many of us look forward to these fun summer traditions.
The National Fire Protection Association reports that every 7 of 10 Americans own some type of grill whether it's a gas, charcoal or smoker grill. The months of May through August are when the most grill fires occur. So, we are currently in the months when most grilling fires occur.
Gas grills account for 84% of grill fires, while charcoals accounts for 16%.
A few tips for grilling to prevent fires:
1. Clean the grill before putting food on. 29% of fires were caused by a grill that hadn't been cleaned.
2. When lighting the grill, make sure the lid is open.
3. Keep the grill at least 10 feet away from the home.
4. Never leave the grill unattended.
Rochester MN Commercial Cleaning Services
SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help you in both residential and commercial needs. We offer water, fire, mold mitigation, final commercial job cleanings, trauma clean up and graffiti removal.
SERVPRO of Rochester has helped various local businesses with smoke damage mitigation services, water damage ranging from a toilet that has overflowed to flooding in a warehouse, areas where there was an injury or death, graffiti removal on all sorts of buildings as well as performing post construction clean-up. Some of these areas include: apartment buildings, assisted living homes, warehouses, stores in the mall as well as stand alone stores, and many others. We may be different that we don't go and publish these businesses, but that is part of our business. We pride ourselves on giving great customer service, IICRC trained technicians, respecting the customer's privacy and serving those who entrust us to work with them.
There are technicians 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 507-286-9170.
Rochester Commercial Graffati Removal
I am sure we all have been driving and see a huge boulder on the top of a hill or in a field that has been painted and painted over the years. Sometimes the message is in celebration of a graduation, professing love or just something to make people smile as they drive by like a smiley face. Those are fairly harmless.
SERVPRO of Rochester has performed many graffati removals on commercial buildings during all times of the year.
SERVPRO has an incredible line of cleaning products that their 2 full time chemists have created. There's an incredible graffati cleaner that we absolutely love. There is a process to graffati removal but well worth the time and money in preserving buildings.
We are here to help! 507-286-9170. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week even holidays. IICRC certified technicians are always ready.
Southern Minnesota Tornado Season
Is tornado season even a thing? Yep! I think in Minnesota it is a season! According to the MN DNR website 3/4 of tornadoes occur during the months of May, June and July. In June 2010, in one day there was a breakout of 48 tornadoes. INCREDIBLE!
Preparation may help you survive tornado.
There is a difference between tornado watch and warning!
Tornado watch: a tornado is possible! Keep your eyes to the sky!
Tornado warning: a tornado is occurring or will be soon! Go to a safe spot now!
1. Go the lowest room away from windows and doors.
2. The Storm Prediction Center recommends if you are driving that you should keep your seat belt on and put a blanket, seat cushion or coat over your head.
Dust....An Incredible Force of Nature
A Dust Storm.....Really? Yep! It's incredible the power and force of nature that we experience each and every day.
Two days ago The Washington Post published an article on the Sahara Dust storm which is supposed to make landfall in the next day. It's fascinating to read how different parts of the United States will be affected. This dust cloud is about 4,000 miles long! The dust plume is expected to hit Texas and Louisana on Thursday. It's predicted that by Saturday this monster dust plume will stretch all the way up into the Midwest, most likely affecting all the United States.
How will this affect our daily life?
Well, if you are in the southern US you may experience poor visibility including white out conditions, and if it rains most likely the rain and dust will mix making it look like it's raining brown. Citizens may also experience breathing difficulties.
In the Midwest, the Post reports that there may be fine dust on cars outside, people experiencing breathing difficulties and suprisingly more intense sunsets.
Sharing information and being in awe of nature is a beautiful thing!
If you find yourself after mother nature has destroyed your home from fire, water, sewer or experienced a trauma, we are here to help. SERVPRO of Rochester is here ready to serve you in mitigation in your home. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with technicians always ready to help.
SERVPRO of Rochester Trained and Certified to Industry Standards
When you call SERVPRO of Rochester you can have peace knowing that we have the training, certification and experience to confidently mitigate your job.
Each employee participates in a Hero Training online through SERVPRO corporate. Then, the employee will attend IICRC certification class in water. IICRC stands for Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification. The class is 20 hours in classroom and then at the end will take an IICRC water test for technicians.
When you call SERVPRO of Rochester our office manager, owner, secretary and technicians are IICRC certified.
Marc, the owner is IICRC certified in ASD (Applied Structural Drying) and WRT (Water Damage Restoration Technician). In the next two weeks, he will be taking the FSRT to get Fire and Smoke Damage Restoration Technician Certification!
SERVPRO of Rochester Commercial Fires Tips
The USFA, United States Fire Administration, conducted several studies. One study that was conducted over nine years gave them valuable insight into commercial fires. They found 3 main causes for commercial fires:
1. Electrical Equipment and Lighting: includes improperly wired, overloaded outlets, defective equipment, and lighting that overheats or sparks, which all cause fires.
What to do? Make sure all are up to date and up to code specifications. Don't overload outlets. Avoid power cords.
2. HVAC Equipment: includes heating and air conditioning systems that overloaded, faulty wiring or has electrical issues all have an increased likelihood for fire.
What to do? Make sure the heating and air conditioning equipment is maintained regularly. Check wiring too.
3. Cooking Equipment: in lunch room eating areas, restaurants, hospitals, and nursing homes. Fires are caused by food being cooked at high temperatures and gas and/or electric equipment.
What to do? Make sure that the cooking equipment is maintained and that there is a fire extinguisher in each eating area.
Commercial Water Damages
Water damages are devastating particulary when you have a commercial building because most likely you have multiple floors and rooms to deal with.
Commercial water damages need to be dealt with quickly for several reasons. You can actually save items from being unsalvageable because of your quick action. The sooner you can get SERVPRO of Rochester in to extract water, the sooner you stop mold growth and more water damage. Mold growth can start anywhere from 48-72 hours from a water damage.
We are able to serve you in many areas from moving contents, packing up contents, water extraction, placing commercial drying equipment to the daily monitoring that is necessary.
We work directly with insurance companies providing all the necessary paperwork, documents including the daily drying reports to the equipment used in each room.
Call SERVPRO of Rochester for your commercial needs.
SERVPRO of Rochester's Remarkable Employees
SERVPRO of Rochester has some very high standards for their employees. The SERVPRO corporation has requirements of their franchises.
One of the requirements for franchise owners is to hire upstanding employees. The corporate SERVPRO has agreements with insurance companies.
When hiring employees, the franchises need to have a thorough background check. We, SERVPRO of Rochester, corporate and insurance companies, want to hire people that have clean backgrounds. What does that entail? Upon hire potential employees fill out paperwork for a complete state and federal background search as well as his or her driving record. We only hire people that have "clean" backgrounds.
When you call SERVPRO of Rochester you can have peace knowing that we have taken the time and care to make sure that good quality people are coming into your home.
The Aftermath from Storms in Southern Minnesota
In Minnesota May and June are times of thunderstorms. We find ourselves in this time now as it rumbles, pours and blows outside and we hunker down in our basements. When it gets quiet outside we go outside to try to see the damage to our property.
The next morning after a storm is tough. Sometimes we get lucky and only have grass that is laying down or leaves on the ground that have blown off from the strong winds. However, there are times that you step on your grass and get wet shoes or other times you are in the basement and notice water.
These are tough times. We understand and are here to help you through these discouraging times. We have dealt with many broken sump pumps, overflowing drains, seepage to tramatic events such as unexpected deaths to cleaning up graffiti.
Do I Really Need to Call SERVPRO of Rochester?
Some people have called us after talking to their insurance company. The caller tells us that they have cleaned up the water damage that was in their home and asks us if we really need to come out.
The answer is YES!
SERVPRO of Rochester is a professional company, fully insuranced and IICRC trained technicians. We have the training and industry equipment to handle small and large jobs. Some think that we can just use regular house fans and dehumidifiers. This is NOT true. There is a science behind mitigating water damages in each part of the job. On each job we are monitoring, taking moisture measurements, documenting, comparing outside temperatures to make sure the balance are condusive to drying conditions.
We have seen a few jobs where other companies have tried to complete the job, but actually created conditions of making it rain in the home. YIKES!
SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help you mitigate your water damage.
SERVPRO of Rochester Taking COVID-19 Precautions
These last few months have been unbelievable, many times it was as though what was happening was coming straight from a pandemic film.
Our lives have been forever changed from this COVID19.
We at SERVPRO of Rochester are here to help if you find yourself, home of place of business in a situation that you need cleaned from the COVID19.
It seems as though things are constantly changing from recommendations the CDC, Health Departments, President, Governor and many others that are telling us conflicting statistics and things we should or should not do.
We are taking precautions at SERVPRO of Rochester with our daily business and employees. Each day our employees are completing a health questionnaire to ensure that no-one is ill or has symptoms of being ill. We are using wearing Personal Protection Equipment at each job, disposing of it after each job, sanitizing the equipment as well as vehicles and having employees disinfect too.
We are here to help you whether you find yourself in a COVID19 situation, water or fire damage, or need trauma scene clean up.
How Can I Tell if I have Water Damage?
Some customers have asked us, SERVPRO of Rochester, to come out to their home to make sure after they had some water come up a drain if they cleaned it up and that there's no other damage.
It is very deceptive if you simply look at the floor, walls or ceiling after you have "cleaned up the water".
SERVPRO of Rochester comes out to the customer's home to take a visual assessment and to take moisture readings of the affected areas. It is vital to your home that you call us to come out to make sure that you don't have any other materials affected in your home. You cannot believe the number of jobs we have looked at, taken moisture readings of the door jambs, trim, walls, and ceilings besides the carpet and pad that are 100% affected.
Having materials affected in a water damage and not taking them out will make mold growth. This creates a whole new mess. Many insurance companies will not cover mold after a water damage that wasn't reported and mitigated by an IICRC company, like SERVPRO of Rochester.
Fire Tips for Rochester Residents
FEMA reports that in one single year over 4,000 people die in fires and over 25,000 people are injured from fires. And, annually the insurance industry reports that home damage costs are estimated at $8.6 billion dollars.
SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help you if you find yourself in this situation. We have helped people when their homes have had minor losses such as smoke and soot damage to complete demolition of their kitchen or several rooms affected from fire.
There are a few simple steps that you can do to help prevent a fire. Some suggestions are:
1. Install a smoke alarm. FEMA estimates having one that is installed and working, it could decrease your chances of dying from a fire in half.
2. You need to have one smoke alarm in each room of your home.
3. You need to replace the batteries in your smoke alarm at least once a year.
4. You need to replace each smoke alarm every 10 years.
5. Have an escape plan. Talk to your family and make a plan how to get out of your home and where to meet if you would have a fire.
These steps are very important. SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help you.
Preparing for Storms in Rochester Area
It's that time of year again. The trees, shrubs and flowers are starting to bud and we see signs of new life all around us. Spring and early summer can also be a time of strong storms. We at SERVPRO of Rochester want to make sure you are prepared and stay safe.
Here are a few tips:
*Make sure your gutters are free of debris and clean.
*Look for tree branches that extend over your roof or close to windows. Assess if they would create damage in a wind gust or strong storm.
*Have a battery operated flashlight and NOAA weather radio.
*Have a family plan ready in preparation of a strong thunderstorm or tornado. Talk about this plan with your family and practice.
It's always better to be prepared for whatever weather we have whether it's strong wind gusts, hail, rainstorms, tornadoes or flooding.
We are here to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Even holidays.
Rochester Do You Agree It Feels Like Spring?
In Rochester, Minnesota we have been experiencing above normal temperatures during the daytime. Yet this winter, we have received the normal amount of precipitation. Compared to last year, this year we didn't have amount of record breaking below zero temperatures for the long sustained periods of time. According to the National Weather Service website, this is a good thing! The snow melt is slower this year than last year which lessens the flooding chances. In two weeks, the National Weather Service will update the flooding forecast again.
SERVPRO of Rochester will continue to monitor the National Weather Services forecast. The National Weather Service is saying that the ground is very saturated, 99% and that if we receive heavy rains then we will have a greatly increased chance of flooding locally.
Please remember a few safety tips when you find yourself with rain or water coming in your home:
*as quickly as you can, move all the contents to a higher level or garage area
*check your sump pump to make sure it is working
*call SERVPRO of Rochester to help mitigate your loss
Unusually Warm Winter in Southern MN
Have you been loving this warm weather that we are having in SE Minnesota? It's nothing like last year when we were in the below zero temperatures and wind chills for days on end.
SERVPRO of Rochester has a few tips for times like this when the temperature fluctuates from below freezing to above freezing temperatures.
1. Clear snow, ice or debris from gutters so water can run freely as it melts.
2. While you are doing that, check to see that there aren't any obstructions in front of or near the gutters, low windows, or window wells.
3. Check your roof and roof peaks for ice dams.
4. Check outside pipes for leaks.
If you do have water coming in your home, move as many contents as you can to a higher floor in your home. Document as you go. Call SERVPRO of Rochester at 507-286-9170. We answer 24 hours a day.
SERVPRO of Rochester Fire Tips
Did you know that the most common time for a house fire is 5 P.M. to 8 P.M.? Each year over 900 people die in house fires. That number is staggering. The number one cause of winter house fires is cooking fires, while the second cause is from heating sources.
We at SERVPRO of Rochester want to help you not be one of these statistics that has a home fire. Here are some helpful tips:
1. If you have a fireplace or wood stove, keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from the area. It's recommended that you don't burn paper, wrapping paper or newspapers. Most importantly, have your fireplace or stove inspected each year.
2. If you use a portable heater, make sure it has an automatic shut off. Place the heater at least 3 feet away from curtains, drapes, bedding and clothing.
Stewartville Be Prepared for Flooding
Last winter brought Minnesota record breaking bitter temperatures and abundant snowfall. School age children found themselves cheering more than the allowed 10 days per school year. According to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, in Rochester, MN, last year in the month of February we received over 40 inches of snowfall.
In the spring, residents found themselves dealing with lots of melting snow and then rainfall that seemed like it wouldn't stop. Again, there was record precipitation.
SERVPRO of Rochester found ourselves helping homeowners deal with ice dams, flooded basements, broken pipes, and seepage.
Most home owners insurance policies in Minnesota don't cover flood damage. If you want flood coverage, you will need to additionally purchase this coverage. All policies have a 30 day waiting period before coverage takes effect.
We at SERVPRO of Rochester highly encourage you to purchase flood coverage. There's nothing worse than finding out after the fact of having your basement flooded that you have no coverage.
However, we work with individual homeowners whether they have insurance and/or flood insurance. We are here to help you.
Fire Prevention Tips for the Upcoming Holidays
We at SERVPRO of Rochester LOVE the holiday times!! For us, this is a time of gratitude for all we have, time for family and moments to remind us how important life truly is!
With that said, we wish you and your family a blessed Thanksgiving and Christmas and offer some tips to keep you safe. These tips come from The National Safety Council website.
1. Use flame less candles. If you must use real flame, keep out of reach of children.
2. Make sure to extinguish candles before leaving your home or to go to sleep.
3. If you have an artificial tree, make sure it's labeled "fire resistant".
4. If you have a live tree, make sure to water it each day. When the holiday is over, dispose of it right away.
5. Replace lights and light sets that have broken or frayed cords.
6. Read the package directions on how many sets you can plug in to each other.
Lastly, keep a fire extinguisher accessible in your home in case you do have a fire start.
We hope you have a wonderful holiday season.
Commercial Jobs in Rochester and Surrounding Towns
SERVPRO of Rochester is ready to help at any commercial jobs. We work with contractors, hotel managers and owners, property managers, property owners and business owners.
Water can cause extensive damage as well as fire.
Some types of typical water damages in commercial buildings are below.
1. Broken water softeners-Many times the water damage is found too late after the leak has spread.
2. Broken pipes-Broken pipes are common and are similar to residential broken pipes.
3. Sewer back-ups-Raw sewage back-ups can cause horrible damage to everything it touches along with the stench.
4. Sprinkler heads-Sprinklers go off and drench everything that is below the area.
5. Appliances that are left on too long or malfunction can start on fire.
No matter the loss, SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help you.
Active Military and Veteran's Day
SERVPRO of Rochester gives our deepest gratitude to all those brave men and women who have served and currently serve the United States of America. The sacrifice is enormous that these military do each and every day to protect each one of us.
Currently, The Council of Affairs lists the active military men and women at 2.2 million in the United States compromised of all five branches. The Five Branches are: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard.
At SERVPRO of Rochester, since we bought the franchise two years ago, we have employed several who have served or currently serve in the United States Armed Forces. We are proud to employ those who serve our country.
Please take a few moments to pray for all those who serve and have served our country.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Rochester
I am proud to say there are many reasons to choose SERVPRO of Rochester!
1) Certified employees: Each employee we have has WTR IICRC certification. This means we abide and follow IICRC standards on each job.
2) Quality: We do quality work.
3) Insurance: We work with insurance companies from beginning to end of each project. Insurance companies have their own pricing software that we use. Insurance companies want to get the best price for their customers.
4) Documentation: All work performed is documented each day with photos, moisture meter readings of affected areas. All documentation is provided to customers and insurance companies.
5) Communication: We communicate with customers and adjusters throughout the process in your project.
We strive each and every day to serve and help our customers in their time of need.
Commercial Jobs in Rochester
In the last 23 months since we purchased the Rochester franchise, we have had some awesome commercial jobs. These opportunities have been wonderful to be involved with in the different phases of their projects.
We have cleaned a handful of apartments with nicotine staining on all the surfaces. Apartments have been moved out of and left in desperate need of deep cleaning. There have been water damages that we have help mitigate. We have been in commercial buildings completing final construction cleanings in the various parts of the building. Sadly, we have been part of bio hazard clean ups too.
No matter your need, SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help. We have the IICRC CERTIFIED technicians, SERVPRO cleaning products that can clean just about anything.
Rochester Homeowners Call SERVPRO of Rochester
No-one expects or wants to find a room or rooms in their home that has water gushing in from a broken pipe, overflowing toilet or washer, leaky roof or a crack in the foundation. You, as a homeowner, want to call SERVPRO of Rochester to come out to your home and begin water mitigation services. We are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You want to take care of the water damage right away.
You will want our services to stop water from going further into your insulation, walls, doors, ceilings, furniture, pool tables, clothing, and other affected materials. We will come out to your home and take moisture readings. We document all readings daily. The affected materials are removed and documented. Once the affected materials have been removed commercial drying and dehumidification equipment is placed in the affected areas. Then approximately every 24 hours, a technician will come to your home and take moisture readings. When the materials are dried to IICRC standards, equipment is removed. Each day this is documented and you are able to see the progress in our documents we send to the insurance company.
Another reason that you want to have the affcted areas properly and professionally mitigated to help prevent mold growth. Usually mold is not covered by insurance companies. Mold can grow within a few days of a water damage.
SERVPRO of Rochester 4th of July Celebrations Safety Tips
With the Fourth of July just a few days away, we at SERVPRO of Rochester want to help you stay safe from injury and fires.
A few safety tips from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission about injury and fires around the Fourth of July celebrations.
*Keep a water hose nearby in case grass or your home catch fire from fireworks.
*After the fireworks have completed burning, spray them off and then put in a bucket of water.
*Keep sparklers and fireworks away from your body and other people.
*Sparklers are pretty and fun, but they burn at almost 2000 degrees, as hot as a blow torch.
*Never touch or look at a "dud" firework. Leave it alone. Spray water on it and dispose.
*Never put used fireworks in a plastic garbage bin or recycling container. It may catch fire even if it feels cool to the touch.
*Do NOT relight a firework that has not fully ignited.
*Children should always be supervised by an adult.
Raging Rivers and Water in Rochester
The National Weather Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, reported that in Rochester, Minnesota on June 27-28 over 5" of rain fell in 6 hours. As a result, the Rochester International Airport was closed for several hours, highways and interstates closed, and homes flooded. Devastation within hours. How fast life can change. We at SERVPRO of Rochester understand that and are here to help you.
It's important to remember that you should take care of yourself and family first. Your safety should be the number one priority. After you get to a safe place or secure a place, then you can make a plan on what needs to be done next.
If you have water in your basement and the level of water is high to where outlets are located, turn off the electricity.
If you have water that has sewage in it, don't go in the water as it may be contaminated.
You will need to call your insurance company and then SERVPRO of Rochester for us to come out and help you.
The Water is Down...Now What?
It's a few days after the insane amount of rain Rochester, MN received this week. The water is starting to recede and go down. Now what?
Currently, we have a waiting list of over 100 leads. Some homeowners have started to do some of the work themselves. A few have called us saying that they have chosen to remove the carpet and pad and then ask us if there's even a reason for SERVPRO of Rochester to come out to their home.
Even if homeowners have started to do some work on their home, and think there's nothing else to be done at their home, WRONG!
SERVPRO of Rochester would come out, take moisture readings and then tell the homeowner the plan as far as removal of items affected. We remove all affected materials and document each step in the process. Mold can grow in as little as 72 hours. Disinfecting the area is also important in the mitigation process. Then, we place commercial equipment for the drying process. Every 24 hours we come and monitor the areas and dry using IICRC standards.
Apartment Living in Rochester
Many of us have lived in an apartment some time in our life. On the flip side, being an apartment owner is a huge responsibility. There are so many things to consider: insurance, the liability of having people coming and going, keeping up with ordinances, taxes and on and on the list goes.
SERVPRO of Rochester has had a handful of commercial cleaning jobs lately. The latest one was one where a tenant moved out after living in an apartment for ten years. The tenant was a smoker. When we arrived the walls, ceiling, even light fixtures, refrigerator, and bathtub were a dark yellow, brownish color.
SERVPRO of Rochester had our work cut out for us! We used SERVPRO cleaning products and were able to get the affected materials and areas back to their color. The owners were pleased with our work. Don't hesitate to call SERVPRO of Rochester.
Difficult Times in Our Lives...SERVPRO of Rochester is here to help
It's always difficult to imagine losing someone that is close to our hearts, but it is a part of life. We at SERVPRO of Rochester understand and have had to deal with a sudden loss of a loved one. If you are faced with a loved one who has died whether it is self harm, accident or illness and need help with the clean up, we are here to help you.
SERVPRO of Rochester has Production Technicians that have been trained to deal with these types of situations and how to properly clean up the affected areas, materials and surfaces. The technicians will set up the area that was affected with a protective barrier keeping the work area away from the rest of the area. We follow all guidelines and rules for properly disposing of items. Most of all, we are respectful, compassionate and non-judgmental during this difficult time.
Quickly Forming Storms of Summer in Rochester
Last week in Minnesota we had a beautiful day that by evening had turned into an extremely strong summer storm. The summer day was super hot and muggy with temperatures in the upper 80s and after a long, cold, brutal, snowy and icy winter that was welcome. By evening around seven or eight, the wind was up to speeds of sixty miles an hour, blowing trees into homes and uprooting them. In Southeast Minnesota, we received over three inches of rain.
SERVPRO of Rochester was called to help customers who had sump pump failures and had water coming in basements. We were glad to help. SERVPRO of Rochester's Crew Chief and Production Technicians went out and extracted water, removed any materials that couldn't be restored and monitored the affected areas and materials each day until dry according to IICRC standards.
Call SERVPRO of Rochester if you experience flooding, sewage backup or sump pump failure. We also do fire mitigation, death or accident clean up.
SERVPRO of Rochester and Industry Standards
Before becoming a SERVPRO of Rochester franchise owner, I didn't understand the depth of the industry & SERVPRO standards and certifications. Before purchasing the franchise, Marc and I, attended new owner classes at SERVPRO corporate in Gallatin, Tennessee. We lived there in a hotel in Gallatin for three weeks.
During that time, we learned the history of SERVPRO, and what feels like everything about SERVPRO. We attended on site IICRC WRT class for a good portion of a week and took the exam to obtain certification as IICRC WRT. We worked at corporate where they have a small home that was flooded by water. We worked to extract the water and follow the correct process and IICRC guidelines.
Also, SERVPRO corporate has a fire house that has smoke and soot in it and we had to complete the job from beginning to end as we would in the field.
We attended a mold class where Dr. Mold taught us all about mold! Very interesting! I haven't look at peanut butter or ketsup the same since the class!
SERVPRO has extensive training unlike any other fire & water restoration corporation in the industry!
SERVPRO of Rochester Uses Professional Cleaning Products
Recently SERVPRO of Rochester had the opportunity to clean an apartment where the tenant had lived for over three years. The tenant was a smoker and I had never had gone out on one of these cleanings although our Production Technicians do this often. I was surprised that every surface in this apartment was dark yellow/ brown. We could see the nicotine everywhere on the ceiling, inside and outside the cabinet, bathroom, doors...all over! SERVPRO has AWESOME cleaning products that SERVPRO of Rochester purchases every month to use on jobs. I cleaned the bathroom and the nicotine and stains came off! It was so gratifying to see at the end of the day how all the areas changed over the day from our hard work and SERVPRO cleaning products. The client was happy with our work and we look forward to more work from them.
SERVPRO of Rochester Biohazard Cleanup
What is a biohazard? A biohazard is defined as a biological or chemical substance that is harmful to humans, animals or the environment. Examples of biohazards are: human tissue, blood, and body fluids. Biohazards have the risk of being infected so the clean-up needs to be completed in a safe manner.
At SERVPRO of Rochester we handle biohazard clean-ups. Some of these include: sewage backup, death & suicides, and hoarding.
No matter if there's a sewage backup, accident, trauma, death or suicide, we wear Personal Protective Equipment to work in the affeted area. We remove the sewage, tissue or fluids and other contaminants. Then we clean, disinfect and deoderize the area. The removed materials need to be disposed of appropriately, not in garbage cans or recycling bins.
SERVPRO of Rochester is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are here to help you during your toughest days.
Byron Bonfire Fun!
We at SERVPRO of Rochester have a few tips as we move into the summer grilling and bonfire season.
1. Keep a hose or bucket of water nearby so that if an ember or spark gets outside the firepit that you are able to put it out.
2. NEVER leave a bonfire unattended.
3. Make sure everyone stays at least 3 feet away from the fire.
4. When you are done with the bonfire, make sure the entire fire is put out. Use water to spray the area down.
5. Make sure to walk around the yard before going inside for the night. Check for any sparks or embers.
Fun times can turn quickly into a catastrophe. We hope you have a fun and safe time having bonfires this summer. As always, we at SERVPRO of Rochester are here to help you in the event you have a fire or water damage.
Spring Rains in Pine Island and Zumbrota
After this long winter in Minnesota, we are hoping that the forecasted rain will bring May flowers! With this rain which nourishes the plants and trees, it also can cause damage to your home when it rains too fast or too much rain.
*NEVER drive around barricades that are blocking a flooded road.
*When there is flooding on the road, turn around! Don't attempt to drive through water on the roadway.
Facts from the National Weather Service about flooding on roadways:
-6" of rushing water on a road can knock down an adult.
-12" of rushing water on a road can pick up and carry a car away
-24" of rushing water on a road can pick up and carry away trucks and SUVs
Be careful out there in the next week as the forecast is saying we may receive 4" of rain.
Flooding in Rochester, MN
The flooding in Rochester, MN and surrounding communities over the last few days are the worst in decades. We, at SERVPRO of Rochester, hope that those affected by the floods find safety during this time.
In the past week we have experienced a dramatic increase in calls about water issues in homes ranging from ice dams, sump pump failures and seepage.
One awesome thing about SERVPRO is that even though each franchise is individually and independently owned, during times like this, we help each other out. We are able to enact teams that specialize in storm events. The team will travel anywhere in the country. Currently, there are SERVPRO Storm teams in the Twin Cities area and the Rochester area to help us and get to the customers faster.
Rochester Homes Have Ice Dams
The diagram shows an ice dam on a home and the different layers of the affected materials in the home.
We at SERVPRO of Rochester have been receiving many calls from residents who have water coming in their home from an ice dam.
What is an ice dam?
An ice dam is a ridge of ice that forms usually at the edge of your roof. This ridge prevents melting snow from draining off your roof. Instead, the melting snow backs up behind the ridge and can leak into your home. Some areas that can be affected are your ceiling, walls, insulation as well as other areas.
What do you do if you are getting water in your home from an ice dam?
1. Call a professional roofer. They have the experience and knowledge to help you eliminate the ice dam.
2. Call SERVPRO of Rochester when you have the ice dams removed. We will come in, assess the affected areas, communicate the plan, do any demolition if needed, place commercial air movers and dehumidifiers. We monitor jobs daily and keep the customer aware of the progress in their home. We work with insurance companies too.
Lots of Broken Pipes in Rochester
We are getting calls for a lot of burst pipes. We at SERVPRO of Rochester can help you! All our employees are IICRC certified trained to industry standards.
Broken and burst pipes are the most common causes of property damage. According to the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety, water damages from broken pipes can easily cost thousands of dollars in damage. Exterior walls, and pipes in unheated spaces like unfinished basements, and garages are most at risk for damage or breaking.
If you do discover a broken or burst pipe, you should find out what the cause of it was. More than likely, you will need to call a plumber out to fix the pipe before calling SERVPRO of Rochester.
We are a 24/7 company that is ready to help out when you need it most.
Homeowners in Rochester: Don't Let Your Christmas Tree Dry Out
This is a beautiful, healthy tree. Please make sure to check the water level daily in the Christmas tree stand.
At SERVPRO of Rochester, MN we want to remind you of a few safety tips as Christmas nears.
The likelihood of a household fire increases dramatically in December and early January. The National Fire Protection Association recommends that you follow these steps to decrease your chance of a fire.
*Check the Christmas lights before hanging. Make sure that the bulbs are not broken and cords are not frayed.
*Keep the Christmas tree at least 3 feet away from any heat source.
*Make sure to check the tree water each day and water.
*Before going to bed at night or leaving home, unplug the Christmas lights.
*Once the Christmas tree is dried or you have removed all the lights and ornaments, recycle at Waste to Energy lot. They will shred the tree to be used later as landscape mulch.
If you do have any water, smoke, fire needs during the Christmas season, SERVPRO of Rochester is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! Call 507-286-9170!
Rochester Residents Are You Leaving for Christmas?
Are you leaving your home during the Christmas holiday? There are a few simple things you can do to take care of your home so that you lessen your chances of home damage while you are gone.
1. Unplug all your electronics. This will help lower your electricity bill and help prevent an electrical fire.
2. Turn off the main water supply line if you are going to be gone for more than a week. This may help prevent leaks or breaks in the line.
3. Remember to throw away any perishable items so they don't rot.
4. Stop your mail and paper service. Contact the USPS and they can hold your mail for you until you return.
We at SERPVRO of Rochester wish you a Merry Christmas and blessed 2019!
SERVPRO of Rochester Thanksgiving Fire Safety Tips
Thanksgiving is less than 48 hours away. Soon kitchens will be bustling with food galore, drinks, laughter and gathering of family and friends. We, at SERVPRO of Rochester, want to give you a few tips to keep your kitchen safe this Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving is the #1 day that fires start in kitchens.
There are a few simple steps you can do to avoid the likelihood of having a kitchen fire.
1. Clean the oven and stove top from any crumbs or debris. Remove any grease build-up.
2. Keep all pan & pot handles turned inward.
3. Stay in the kitchen while food is cooking, particularly on the stove top.
4. Make sure the batteries in smoke alarms are working.
5. If you have a fire in your oven keep the door closed.
Turkey deep fryers
1. If using a turkey deep fryer, use it outdoors.
2. Use the correct oil that the manufacture recommends.
3. Thaw the turkey completely.
4. Don't overfill the oil.
5. Keep children away.
From our family at SERVPRO of Rochester, we wish you and your family a blessed and safe Thanksgiving.
Are You Ready Rochester?
The snow and cold temperatures are here in Minnesota!! There are some important things you need to do to be prepared and protect your home. ARE YOU READY?
Here are a few to do items before winter is officially here in Minnesota.
*Disconnect any hoses connected to your home.
*Have a lawn sprinkler system? Make sure you have a professional company drain and blow out the water with compressed air.
*Clean the clothing laundry duct. The damper at the exterior of your home should freely open and close. This will help getting lint clogged in your laundry duct.
*Clean the gutters to make sure they are free from leaves or bird nests.
*Replace damaged or worn weatherstripping around doors and windows.
*Replace smoke alarm and CO alarm batteries.